GFI in series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishman43

Reaction score
Hello All,

If I have four standard outlets in series in my kitchen along the counter top and wanted to convert them to GFI, can I replace the first outlet in the series with a GFI and will that cover all of the down stream outlets?

Thanks

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, if wired per the instruction with the GFCI.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Almost all (but not every one) gfci outlets let you daisy chain additional outlets to protect them. If the gfci has connections for both load and line, anything connected to the load side is protected as well as the gfci itself (of course!).

Marv

Reaction score
You really need to know what is all the way down the line. Hopefully your refrigerator is not on the line and kicks the breaker when you're not around.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
You really need to know what is all the way down the line. Hopefully your refrigerator is not on the line and kicks the breaker when you're not around.

If it does, its a good warning sign your fridge is failing. ;)

Marv

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old fridge at the office (full size) that just started to trip the GFCI its plugged into. I think its just because the motor is drawing a little extra current as it ages. I plugged it into another outlet and its fine. Motors can often trip a GFCI.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I have a 1 year old fridge at the office (full size) that just started to trip the GFCI its plugged into. I think its just because the motor is drawing a little extra current as it ages. I plugged it into another outlet and its fine. Motors can often trip a GFCI.

When they start leaking current. Just because it works in a nongfci outlet, does not mean it is not leaking current. It has been years since I have seen a false trip on a gfci.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks