Remodel plate (smitty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Peechee

Reaction score
I have seen this at a plumbing parts place, and it has been discussed on this site, as a way to cover the hole that you need to make to replace a shower body. I have talked to two different plumbers. Both said they felt it would not give enough room to change the shower body. Any other suggestions or just keep calling plumbers until one says he's used this method of replacing a shower body and closing up the hole.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen this at a plumbing parts place, and it has been discussed on this site, as a way to cover the hole that you need to make to replace a shower body. I have talked to two different plumbers. Both said they felt it would not give enough room to change the shower body. Any other suggestions or just keep calling plumbers until one says he's used this method of replacing a shower body and closing up the hole.

Yup keep calling. I have used and installed many of them and they look rather nice. I use them mostly for three handle to single handle change outs.

notarookie

Reaction score
Smitty Plates

You'll never know until you try one. My experience has been that they are an answer to your prayers if you don't want a bill for an expensive patch job, not to mention that the job is complete when you leave. I have done countless shower valve updates from 3 handle to single handle valve installations. I was in a city that was a stickler for plumbing codes and plumbing permits. The city legislated valve updates to temperature controlled valves whenever a valve needed replacement. There are thousands of them installed. I can't imagine a plumber saying one wouldn't work, however I have met plumbers who simply didn't know what one was, which I also found curious.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plate

I don't think he is saying it won't work, but rather that HE cannot do he job in the space it gives. That may, or may not, be true, but could also reflect his abilities or lack of desire to make it work.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is not the easiest job a plumber does every day, but it is a job any plumber should be able to handle. Now, I avoid just working through a 5 or 6 inch round hole....that is a real challenge. But with the added access available when you can cover with a smitty plate...this is doable.

Your guy may be busy and is telling you he just doesn't want the job.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks