Is my bathroom vent designed properly??

Users who are viewing this thread

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Hey guys, now that my heating system is done I am working on my gutted bathroom. I will be filing for a permit this week and be doing the work myself. I never plumbed a bathroom from scratch before so I am working at one step at a time. The sink, toilet and tub are against the exterior wall. Instead of touching the insulation and drilling holes I am building a another 2x4 wall in front of it for plumbing purpuse's. All vent piping will be 2inch's and it will be 3 inchs in the attic coming out of the roof (6 inchs of roof line). The horizontal pvc is above the sink by 8 inchs. Does this design look right? I know it is very vague, just looking at the basics right now.

thanks!!!!

Attachments

• bathvent.jpg
    bathvent.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 468

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sink can use a 1.5" vent
The tub/shower can use a 1.5" vent
The toilet uses a 2" vent

Revent at least 6" above flood level of highest fixture. That would be the lav.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If he's IPC the entire group can be vent 11/2" for that matter two bath groups can be vented with one 1 1/2

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the reply I truly appreciate it. I am going to call the town today and ask if i can vent everything 2 inchs to make life easier for me. I understand about the horizontal tubing being above the highest flood point at least 6 inchs. The tricky part is the 4 inch drain I need to build runs directly at the bottom of this wall and floor joists horizontally. I will take some pics and hopefully you guys can give me ideas.

thanks again and have a great day!

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
While I have gotten good advice from the board I have found the best advice I have gotten is from the person who will be doing the inspection. If you are getting it inspected get a detailed enough drawing of exactly what you plan to do and contact the inspector. In my case the guy was very clear about what he wanted to see and how it would be tested so it took any and all guess work out of the equation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In most cases, he will NOT get a permit until he submits a "detailed drawing" of how he intends to install the drains and vents. Vents are easy, ONCE you have the drains installed properly. Our inspectors are NOT in the business of designing plumbing, or any other, systems. They will "reject" incorrect drawings and expect YOU to make any corrections before resubmitting them.

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
Let me rephrase that then. If you can get a permit without a detailed drawing get the permit and make a detailed drawing and submit it to the inspector. If you can't get the permit first make the detailed drawing and submit it. If it is rejected they will need to tell you why. Fix what they have rejected, resubmit, get it approved, then move on with the plan. Talking with the inspector will also be helpful in that you will know how they plan to test the system. The inspector I have dealt with would much rather have it done right rather than coming to inspect it and have you rip it all out because its not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks