Any market for reclaimed retro fixtures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Xenomorph

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is some kind of established market for used retro fixtures from around the 70s? Or is it not worth the hassle to track down a buyer?

thx.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on what they are and if you want to take a chance and spend some time and $$, put it on that big online auction and if it doesn't sell pitch it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
retro

About the only things from the 70's that might have "retro" interest would be Crane Criterion fixtures, and those were so proprietary that you cannot get parts, even a toilet seat, for them anymore.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't consider the 70's "retro". I think of avocado and harvest gold appliances. And the market for a 70's toilet is probably right up there with the copper colored refrigerator.

Xenomorph

Reaction score
Hmm thx for the info....I'll just throw this ugly crap in the garbage where it belongs!

Cookie

Reaction score
I belong to a group thru Yahoo which recycles things. You can check it out at: http://www.freecycle.org/ I have given away so far, 3 tv's, games, the extra laminated wood I had; and once, just about a mile away, I picked up about 100 empty DVD boxes for my niece who makes her own movies. Someone would absolutely be thrilled with your 70's appliances. Only thing is you will get quite a few emails, but you can digest them. That is what I do. I think this is a great service also, because it lessens the load on the already overfilled landfills. It has to be free, but, think also, how nice it is to give to someone who maybe, needs it to be.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I belong to a group thru Yahoo which recycles things. You can check it out at: http://www.freecycle.org/ I have given away so far, 3 tv's, games, the extra laminated wood I had; and once, just about a mile away, I picked up about 100 empty DVD boxes for my niece who makes her own movies. Someone would absolutely be thrilled with your 70's appliances. Only thing is you will get quite a few emails, but you can digest them. That is what I do. I think this is a great service also, because it lessens the load on the already overfilled landfills. It has to be free, but, think also, how nice it is to give to someone who maybe, needs it to be.

Wow. I might join that group Cookie. I employ guys or teens from low income famalies to do work on the property. I seem to always have a lamp,CD players,electronic piano,dishes etc along with a good wage.

I've known people who give away dirty clothes and think that people in poverty appreciate it. Guess what....they don't. No one wants to put on dirty garments.
I also knew a guy who gave away a big old club chair with a huge oil stain on it. He truly felt he was doing good even though no one in their right mind would ever sit in it.
(this is not directed at anyone here BTW)

If your hardware is brass (or) then it might have some value to someone--and that's great...otherwise.....probably not imo. good luck...

"You better be nice to people on your way up, because you just might meet them on your way down..." ;)

M.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Never knew about freecycle. We have a local group, so as soon as I figure out how to join, I'm there.

asuwish

Reaction score
Thanks, Cookie, for the info on Freecycle. Turns out it's happening in my town too. My family can definitely donate tonnes of stuff that we have been hoarding over many years. Time to clean out the crawl space.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
takes work to recondition things

Good : Get it to someone who will take it.
Better : Give it to someone who really wants it.
Best : Give it to someone who has an installation planned for it.

after all the work involved in picking up the item, handling it, storing it, figuring out what kind of reconditioning is needed, getting that planned and done, and then storing the item longer, it is still far from certain that any buyer will appear at any time in the next decade.

Professionally run businesses plan to "turn over" inventory frequently; they do not hold items on shelves. Turnover is measured in multiple times per year.

There is no successful business model predicated on the half-museum half-store concept, anywhere in the world. It is too far forward in an unforeseeable future to plan to make money by recuperating useful old things and reselling them. This is only slightly exaggerated; Goodwill type stores, junk stores, antique stores and the like, are not moneymakers when it comes to old appliances fixtures and stuff. If there were a market for these products, they would have already let it be known that they will collect these things. They don't.

Anyone who is certain they will install it. This is the best use. Because you are sure they won't go bankrupt handling your old stuff for ecological reasons. The kind of person who really really wants it may be a dreamer who you are feeding like giving an open bar to a future alcoholic. Only encourage realistic dreamers, that's what I say.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks