Baseboard radiator recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxie

Reaction score
I have a 24" run of slant fin radiator in a small bathroom. I sometimes see more modern streamlined baseboard heating in pictures, but I have no idea what other products are out there that are inexpensive, yet smaller than your typical baseboard radiator. A google search landed me Runtal Flat Panel Hot Water Baseboard Radiators, but they are super expensive. The room is too small for a wall set unit, so I stuck with the baseboard, but now I'm wondering what options I may still have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Big difference between slant fin and a radiator, and thus the cost differences. THe radiator will perform better at lower temperatures and be more comfortable. A radiator works by (tada!) radiation, and a slant fin by (primarily) convection...radiation heats you, convection heats the air. Think bright sun on a cool day verses a hot wind.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
When you say "smaller than your typical baseboard radiator", I'm not sure in exactly which dimension you mean? The Runtal UF2-24 isn't any tinier than a 2' section of Slant Fin, though it might look a bit nicer.

Replacing a 2' fin-tube with a 2' cast-iron baseboard takes about the same space with comparable BTU output, but it's not super cheap when bought new, but not Runtal-priced either.

But this sort of stuff shows up on Craigslist all the time, at ~$15-25/foot.

They clean up and repaint easily. If you're not the DIY type you can probably find an auto body shop willing to do a bake-on automotive white (or some even nicer color) on the cheap next time they're doing a car-job and it'll look BETTER than new stuff, and still come in well below new cost on cast iron baseboard.

If going with used cast-iron, make sure it's not a middle section, but a standalone, with the cast-in leg on each end, with pipe threads on each end. It comes from a few manufacturers, at a few different heights too, so pay attention to the dimensions.

The tiniest flat Buderus might fit your space (or not), not super cheap, but they come with a thermostatic mixing valve to fine-tune the output.

Maxie

Reaction score
By smaller I meant thinner. The Runtal is only 2" deep, and although the one we have might only be 3.5 or 4" deep, the floor area of the bathroom is only about 4.5 x 5 feet, so every inch counts. But, when I saw the price of the Runtal, I decided I would just let him install the regular slant fin style radiator. For now I think this stays, but I'm taking notes on all your suggestions for other rooms that will be getting renovated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks