Hot water from wood stove coil

Users who are viewing this thread

Commonground

Reaction score
I am planning a hot water system from a coil in a wood stove to complement the electric heating of a hot water tank. See attached sketch.

(How can I attach a 370 KB PDF file ?!)

Water comes from a shallow dug well through a 1/2HP jet pump.

Cycling of the pump is regulated by a 20 gallons bladder tank set between 20 and 40 PSI.

As a water expansion relief I am using a 125 PSI PR valve on the cold side after the bladder tank in the dirt floored basement.

To be able to dump excess heat from the tank I am using a dia. 3/4" drying rack in the main floor bathroom and a circulating pump.

The drying rack is located between the dia. 1/2" hot and the cold lines.

I am running a dia. 3/4" loop between the wood stove coil on the main floor and the hot water tank on the top floor.

The intake for the coil is the tank drain, the hot water return to the tank is the TPR valve port. The TPR stays at the same location.

I am using a GSW 45 gallons (184 l) electric hot water tank.

I am placing a pan under the tank to be drained in the basement.

The drain tap for the tank is at the bottom of the coil loop.

Please comment.

Thanks

PS: I am posting a sketch as soon as I can

Commonground

Reaction score
It took me a little while to find the way to reduce my pdf file. I hope it is legible.

Attachments

• Plumbing sketch.gif
    Plumbing sketch.gif
    36 KB · Views: 907
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks