Looking for a 2 inch bathtub drain assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Husky Dad

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an online supply where I can order a 2 inch bathtub drain. I'm working on a 1940 house and need to replace the tub drain assembly. The old drain is a 2 inch (yes I'm sure). I can get a 1 1/2 to just cover and seat, but I would rather replace with a 2 inch. Problem is I cant find one. Thx for the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Let's see now. The "world wide" demand for a 2" tub drain appears to be the grand total of ONE. It doesn't seem like there would be a lot of financial benefit to a company if they designed one, had the dies made, and then produced it. If they did, the production costs for that one drain would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, so guess what that drain would cost you.

Husky Dad

Reaction score
Let's see now. The "world wide" demand for a 2" tub drain appears to be the grand total of ONE. It doesn't seem like there would be a lot of financial benefit to a company if they designed one, had the dies made, and then produced it. If they did, the production costs for that one drain would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, so guess what that drain would cost you.

Thx for the response. I take it from your long answer you don't know. As to your reasoning, I guess that means the same company that might set up the machinery to manufacture the one 2 inch drain,is about as likely as one that would set up to manufacture a tub with a 2 inch drain. Maybe I have a collectors item. One of a kind as it were. I kind of doubt it m8.

Husky Dad

Reaction score
Can anyone out there actually help - ?

Apparently, arrogant, snarky and decidedly unhelpful responses are "allowed" on this site.
(Methinks perhaps the moderator needs a moderator - ?)

- HuskyDad's wife

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not really. In those days some manufacturers, such a Kohler, DID make tubs with oversized holes, BUT they still used 1 1/2" drains, the fittings at the tubs were just larger. I DO KNOW, because there is absolutely NO REASON for any company to produce a 2" drain assembly. What did you want me to say? "I appreciate your problem, and if I EVER find someone who makes such an item, I will refer them to you?" The Internet may be "wonderful", but it is not a miracle worker. My answer was the same as if you had asked for a 4" sink strainer for an old Kohler sink. If that had been the case, you would also be out of luck. Manufacturers ONLY make things they can sell, and sell a lot of. As my economics professor once said, companies are NOT in the business of making things. They are in the business of making money, and to do THAT, they make things.

Last edited:

tdress

Reaction score
HJ: "Not really. In those days some manufacturers, such a Kohler, DID make tubs with oversized holes, BUT they still used 1 1/2" drains, the fittings at the tubs were just larger. I DO KNOW, because there is absolutely NO REASON for any company to produce a 2" drain assembly. What did you want me to say? "I appreciate your problem, and if I EVER find someone who makes such an item, I will refer them to you?" The Internet may be "wonderful", but it is not a miracle worker. My answer was the same as if you had asked for a 4" sink strainer for an old Kohler sink. If that had been the case, you would also be out of luck. Manufacturers ONLY make things they can sell, and sell a lot of. As my economics professor once said, companies are NOT in the business of making things. They are in the business of making money, and to do THAT, they make things."

I guess I would be the SECOND idiot in the world that needs to replace a 1940 era tub drain (I would have bet money they built more than two homes in the world in the year 1940) so me and Husky Dad are slowly starting to create a new 2" tub drain market. I have a 1940 tub drain I need to replace also. The tub is still in great condition but just trying to "update" it a little. I am not a plumber, much less a master plumber, so I guess I didn't think that my tub drain was so unique. The reason I joined this forum was to get some useful assistance from master plumbers. I think "HJ" needs to also caveat his forum entries with "Master Heckler".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not really. Many people come to this forum with "difficult", if not "impossible" requests, such as "help me design the entire plumbing system for my house so I can do it myself and save a ton of money". We do the best we can, but it is not always possible to make them happy. It is possible that there is some company making specialty items that we do not know about, in which case you may be able to search them out, (there is no benefit to us taking the time to do so.)

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Are you sure the old tub drain was actually a 2" outlet using 2" piping? Or was it a 1.5" outlet that just had a wider flange than current units?

In either case, by the time it becomes necessary to work on the drain systems for such old units, the tubs are usually damaged and/or rusted enough to require replacing, which makes finding repairs parts for antique plumbing fixtures even more difficult, like Hj said.

The way I see it, if you are insistent on keeping the old tub, you can talk to a machinist about fabricating some sort of adapter flange plates which you can silicone into place between the tub and the male drain fitting and then again on the bottom of the tub between the female drain fitting and the tub, or you can keep searching the net in hopes of finding a replacement part. A little bit of searching on my own yielded two results..but I am unsure if by 2" then mean a 2" thread or if they are just taking a topside flange measurement. Anyways, here are the links...good luck:

***.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=DCB-BLT-20A
***.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=DCB-BLT-20W

LEX

Reaction score
Feel your pain. I too have this problem - old Kohler drain. I had to cut the old drain out, as it was stuck, only now do I realize that it may be impossible to replace! Do not want to replace tub, just did finish work in basement below ... and current bathroom is tiled, it would be a mess... not to mention expensive. If someone has info on on a two inch thread, and yes they did make them, please please let me know. Thanks

JohnnyJ

Reaction score
Its unfortunate the "master plumber" is not more helpful and less sarcastic. I have a 1981 Kohler steeping tub with a 2" drain so according to the "master plumber" it looks like Kohler spent millions of dollars to make at least three tubs with 2" outlets over the 20 year span in this thread. I wanted to change the outdated gold fixtures to brushed nickel so I have the same problem. I found two solutions. Kohler does make replacement drain flanges that are 2". Unfortunately they cost $279.60 each. Not very practical. However Law Plumbing Supply makes a shoe plug bushing that converts 2 1/16" x 16T to 1 3/8" x 16T and its $14.95 plus shipping. http://www.lawsupply.net/brass_ware/tub_drains/index.htm You can then buy a new 1 3/8" drain flange from any home supply store. Good luck!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
For your information Kohler produced THOUSANDS of tubs with a 2" outlet. (Just as Crane and Case made thousands of toilets which used special seats and they are also NOT AVAILABLE any longer.) Most of them have either been replaced or STILL have the original drain and the customer is happy with it. There are at least THREE people who have removed their drains without considering how they would replace it. I do not see a 2 1/8" bushing but it would usually be for a 1 1/2" ips thread, and MANY drains come with it. The 1 3/16" drain fitting would probably be so small that it just dropped through the opening. IF IT DID NOT, then almost any 1 1/2" waste and overflow would fit it.

Last edited:

PotbellyJoe

Reaction score
I have a 2" Kohler drain. The threaded portion is 2" not 1 1/2" like the new standard is. I know your frustration. Every shop I called treated me like a fool who was measuring the diameter of the flange. I wound up buying a drain key and popping the drain out to bring with me to a shop. The guy pulled out his old Kohler manuals and found my assembly on the first page of his oldest book on his shelves. I have all of the part numbers now for the assembly.

He said, regrettably, that no one would have these parts in stock just based on age alone. (My house is from 1917 and he estimated the drain design to be 1955-1960) But his kernel of knowledge he gave me was to use my Dremel to polish the stopper's edge and the drain's edge. So I went home and plugged in the tool, got the polishing pad that is marroonish in color and bristled webbing, turned it to 20k and went to it.

IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

My drain holds water, and 50 years from now when I have to do it again, I'll make sure to remember this.

I hope this helps anyone who is searching on this topic. It was a long process for me, just to get past the disbelief people had about a 2" drain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lots of things made a long time ago (1940's was nearly 70-years ago) are no longer available. The parts they fit in are worn out, or no longer servicable. So, if you want to restore it, just like an old car, you have to search hard, or refurb what you have, or make a new, compatible one. This is often quite expensive in both time and money. So, you bite the bullet, and replace it, or play restorer. Any time you have something that has fallen out of favor, it's tough.

PotbellyJoe

Reaction score
http://www.guillens.com/kohler/Kohler SP4 (D)/svcparts/pdf/087926_8.pdf

These are the part numbers for mine, helped me look for parts if I ever need them. I found this after the shop yesterday gave me a schematic for my drain assembly.

Hope this helps.

kohler-clearpass-tub-drain.jpg

kohler-clear-pass-tub-drain-pic.jpg

kohler-clear-pass-tub-drain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

z71usa

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread!

I just ran into this problem with our older bathtub. Thanks to all of those that were helpful on this thread. With your help I found the part I needed here:

Kohler 29060-CP Part

It wasn't cheap but it really makes a huge difference in the appearance of our tub. This is an oddball size in tub drains and it took me atleast 3 trips to the stores and about 2hrs time researching online to figure out.

I was able to get out the old drain with a large flat handle screwdriver and a hammer. You can use the little nubs that stick out to tap it counter clockwise. It will loosen up with some persuasion.

Most people that will have the 2" Kohler 29060 bathtub drain will probably have the chrome finish so that is the link that I posted.

Make sure to use a thin snake of plumbers putty underneath the new drain to help it seal.

Hope this helps someone else along the way!

kohler_29060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Whittaker

Reaction score
answer to your problems

check this out:
http://www.trimbydesign.com/productdisplay.asp?prodid=tbd3001bbk

you can thank me later

Thank you for helping me find a drain solution to my Kohler bath tub drain dilemma. I found an additional company that also sells a bronze Kohler drain adapter for $3.09....a very inexpensive solution.

They are listed below:

Cheers

Skanker2005

Reaction score
Thank you for helping me find a drain solution to my Kohler bath tub drain dilemma. I found an additional company that also sells a bronze Kohler drain adapter for $3.09....a very inexpensive solution.
Cheers
Thank you so much! I have been watching this thread on and off for 2 years now for a working link after ordering handfuls of fittings that said they would work. Fingers crossed this works!! I'm so tired of everyone assuming I measured wrong because I am a female lol. "There is no way that is your tub drain size. Have your husband measure it." Lord I wanted to throw a tape measure at their mouth lol. Anyways, thank you so much for sharing for all of us non existing bath tub owners. :)

Loki

Reaction score
Not really. In those days some manufacturers, such a Kohler, DID make tubs with oversized holes, BUT they still used 1 1/2" drains, the fittings at the tubs were just larger. I DO KNOW, because there is absolutely NO REASON for any company to produce a 2" drain assembly. What did you want me to say? "I appreciate your problem, and if I EVER find someone who makes such an item, I will refer them to you?" The Internet may be "wonderful", but it is not a miracle worker. My answer was the same as if you had asked for a 4" sink strainer for an old Kohler sink. If that had been the case, you would also be out of luck. Manufacturers ONLY make things they can sell, and sell a lot of. As my economics professor once said, companies are NOT in the business of making things. They are in the business of making money, and to do THAT, they make things.

Hopefully if others, like me, find this forum while trying to find a solution to a very real problem a lot of folks have (who own older homes and want to update their bathroom without replacing their tub) they will read past your pretentious bravado and know-it-all attitude to discover the link below that works perfectly. So yes, I do want you to say "if I EVER find someone who makes such an item, I will refer them to you." Instead of being a jackass and acting like it must not exist if YOU don't know about it or need it. The internet is a "wonderful" until people spew their ignorance all over the place instead of offering any real advice.

My house was built in the 50's and I am remodeling the bathroom and wanted to leave the vintage tub in place. Unfortunately, I had to destroy the old 2 inch drain to remove it before having the tub resurfaced. I got worried when I learned all the standards have changed in the decades since and couldn't find a drain to fit... Thankfully someone else on this forum found a solution and I'm happy to report my new standard drain fits perfectly with this Kohler brass bushing adapter! Good luck to any others out there in the same situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks