Franklin Submirsable well pump frequent cycling

Users who are viewing this thread

avasp96

Reaction score
This unit is located in a hunting cabin, with no pressure tank.
The pump started cycling very frequently after we opened up the cabin in the spring. It cycles about 10 times before it fills up the toilet bowl. Before we winterized the cabin it used to run continuously until the bowl was full. So this is an obvious change.
I can hear the pressure valve right under the well cap.
However I can not take the well cap off, because there is a check valve handle goes right through it, and the nut holding the T-handle is completely rusted onto the rod. This is how we drain the well before we close the cabin for winter.
I need to get access to the pressure valve and to the wiring to start my investigation.
If I cut off the T handle, how hard is it to replace?
Is it possible that last winter when I drained the well the impeller started turning backwards?
Or could be a pressure switch issue?

Franklin Submersible,
Model 244505 6110, 1/2 hp, 230V, Cont Duty

Thank you
IMG_0188s.JPG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That nut will come off. You need a 6 point socket and maybe some heat, but it will come off.

I would never run a pump without a tank. It is asking for a premature failure.

Judging by your description of the problem, you might have a leak in the line between the pump and the pressure switch, or the check valve in the pump has failed.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would never run a pump without a tank. It is asking for a premature failure.

I agree! I don’t see how it was working in the first place. I believe you have a pressure tank either in the well or underground, and the tank has failed. That is just the way a pump without a pressure tank acts. If you are referring to the pressure switch as the “pressure valve” and the switch is under that well cap, then the tank must be within a few feet.

avasp96

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
I will be going to the cabin next weekend and do some more investigation.
We just purchased the cabin last year and we do not live there full time.
Every time we go there we learn a new interesting "solution" the previous owner improved the cabin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks