Tankless water too hot for first minute - is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_J

Reaction score
I understand why hot water tanks can deliver water that's hotter for the first minute or so (heat rises to top of tank), but I have tankless hot water from an oil burner and for the first minute the water is very hot (160F) and then sometimes drops down to a much cooler temp (as low as 130-ish) but eventually settles down to about 145F and stays there. Is this sort of behavior normal from a tankless? If not what could cause this? We have a Watts Regulator mixing valve at the boiler that is set to the hottest setting--any chance the mix valve is too old and not working right?

Mike J.
Boston

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
yes...also, it takes a moment or so for the tempering valve to react. Last, it could have heated up some of the nearby water, so there is not much cold to actually flow to temper it for a moment. Unless you are in a commercial situation, over 130 is risky. My unprofessional opinion.

Mike_J

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. In considering your idea about the water in the cold pipe being heated, it suddenly occurred to me why the initial water is so hot. Tankless has no thermostat--the water is heated by simply passing through the coil, and when you aren't running the water it sits in the coil getting hotter in hotter as the furnace runs to heat the house. Between that and the two extra things you mentioned it' so obvious I'm embarassed I had to ask :)

jadnashua said:
Unless you are in a commercial situation, over 130 is risky.
I totally agree--I think the mixing valve was turned all the way hot because the shower was too cold, which I fixed by simply adjusting the max temp limiter on the shower valve (previous owner should have read these forums before trying to fix things himself!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks