has anyone "insulated" under their above ground pool? 3" layer of mulch?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I am trying to make my quickset pool warm enough for my wife.
In addition to my solar heater I thought a layer of mulch under the pool would insulate from cold transfer from ground.
Has anyone done this?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I think the mulch (straw) being crushed flat would render it ineffective, but I might be wrong about that. I have occasionally thought about rigid styrofoam under my pool, and that is what I once put under a concrete floor with embedded heating wire.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
By far the biggest heat loss out of a swimming pool is from evaporation at the surface, not conducted heat out the bottom or sides. (Every gallon of evaporated water takes ~8000 BTU of heat with it.) Most soils are at least somewhat insulating when dry, so as long as there's good drainage under the pool, adding insulation down there won't do much, especially if you don't do anything about blocking the orders-of-magnitude larger heat loss from evaporation.

Using a bubble-pack type pool cover would

A: Block evaporation

B: Put about R2 of insulation between the water & cool nighttime air

C: Add a considerable amount of passive solar heat during the day (even a bright-clouds type day.)

But like any pool cover, you have to put it back on whenever the pool isn't in use to get the benefit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks