How Kosher is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

philippo

Reaction score
Okay, here's a "contractor bad dream story", hopefully cut a little bit short.

It's my own bathroom remodel, contractor raved about his plumber -- his plumber was going to use PEX instead of the original copper that was going to be torn out and somewhat rerouted. Nothing terribly major; move the toilet and hot water heater, plumb to a new bathtub and shower.

Last weekend we had a major freeze in the Pacific Northwest and I crawled under the house to check on the pipes. Granted, it is a miserable crawlspace -- hard to access and hard to move around in...but I don't think there's any excuse for what I found:

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Aside from the old plumbing parts,torn out insulation, and garbage left under the house, exactly how "standard" is that kind of plumbing layout for PEX?
I understand it's much easier to use, and flexible, but that doesn't excuse that particular snakes nest!

Should I insist this be redone? (I think so...)
philip

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's hard to make PEX runs look nice.
It should be supported every four feet.
Copper can get by with six feet.

It looks like two different insulation wraps. The darker stuff comes preglued, but you have to pull the cellophane off after installation to allow the two sticky sides to bind together.
The light stuff was tie wrapped.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A lot of contractors use PEX because they can install it that way, because it takes less time, even it if does use a bit more material. They don't really care how it looks as long as nobody is going to see it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks