Washer valve replacement -- what type do I have here ?

Users who are viewing this thread

berkeleydb

Reaction score
Washing machine valve replacement -- what type do I have here ?

I am asking for some help to figure out what type of washing machine valve I have here.The valves are attached in line to the same small pipe that feeds the plastic laundry tub below it. I cannot quite tell where the valve pieces end and the pipe pieces begin. Not even sure if this is 3/4 or 1/2. Please see attached photo. My intent is to see if I can replace these myself without calling a plumber.

Attachments

• washer_valve_photo_2_smaller.jpg
    washer_valve_photo_2_smaller.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,265
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The valve ends where the thread ends. The copper pipe is inserted into the valve and soldered in place. Because of the proximity, I would unsolder the short pipe from the tee. You will need to remove the black insulation , and use wet rags wrapped just right around the ends of the tee to keep from unsoldering those connections.

berkeleydb

Reaction score
Thanks for your reponse. If that's the case, and the threaded piece is part of the valve,
then I would have to mess around with soldering. So maybe I'll just let the plumber do it,
and maybe they'll come up with a better method than the one used decades ago when someone put this together.

But .... is there any possibility that the threaded part we can see in the photo is part of a double-threaded piece
that is soldered onto the pipe that is soldered on to the Tee ?

If that's the case and that my valve (probably a boiler valve or washing machine valve) is just screwed on to
the other side of the double-threaded pipe?

If that were the case, I might be able to try the unscrew the valve. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part ?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope, what you have there is a couple of 1/2" boiler drain valves. They are normally ips threaded on the outside and machined inside to be soldered also. If they leak you can always replace the washers and the stem packings rather than replace them.

berkeleydb

Reaction score
I was told that the the hot water is flowing to the washing machine at about 50 % and the cold at 80%. Not sure if replacing the washers/packings would help but maybe I'll give that a try. That would be a lot better than replacing the entire thing.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flow problem is more likely the strainer screens in the washer solenoid valve than it is the boiler drains. If you take the hoses off the back of the machine there will be a couple of screens inside where the hose screwed on. Take them out and either replace them or clean them. Then check the ends of the washer hoses because they sometimes have screens in them too.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The flow problem is more likely the strainer screens in the washer solenoid valve than it is the boiler drains. If you take the hoses off the back of the machine there will be a couple of screens inside where the hose screwed on. Take them out and either replace them or clean them. Then check the ends of the washer hoses because they sometimes have screens in them too.

I agree,I doubt the boiler drains are the problem.

berkeleydb

Reaction score
Actually, the washing machine is new -- the guys who installed it told me about the faucet/valve problem. Sorry if I misspoke.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

A good plumber will remove the valves, then solder on female adapters, and screw the new valves into them so you do not have a problem with changing them in the future.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A good plumber will remove the valves, then solder on female adapters, and screw the new valves into them so you do not have a problem with changing them in the future.

To quote Sydney Poitier......AMEN.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The site was loading too slowly to bother going back and editing the first reply. But, since the photo is so vague, we cannot tell if they used new hoses, which they should have. But if not, the hoses themselves could have plugged screens where they connect to the faucets.

berkeleydb

Reaction score
Yes, the washer hoses are new. It's the faucets that are the problem. they don't fully turn off or turn on.

I think I'm just going to call in a pro. I don't have the time, equipment or the experience to do the soldering. I was hoping it was something simple I could do myself, but I'm just not set up for it.

Maybe I'll talk to someone about a different setup, maybe move the washer valves off of the plastic utility sink and not have to shut down the water main in the future to do something simple like change the washers in a valve.

Thanks for all the replies -- much appreciated.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if there are new hoses or not,when the installers turned the water back on the washers could have crumbled and obstructing the inlet to the machine.

If no one has checked then thats what I'm still going with. LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; maybe move the washer valves off of the plastic utility sink and not have to shut down the water main in the future to do something simple like change the washers in a valve.

To do that you would have to do more than just move them "off the utility sink", and with the correct valves there would not be any washers to replace.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
You need a torch to solder... having "equipment" isn't really necessary here...

A torch and cleaning tools are "equipment". Flux and solder are "supplies". Not everyone has all of these sitting around the house waiting to be used.​

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
They appear to be Nibco valves but regardless, two washers and a couple of new stem packings will solve whatever valve problems there may be. (unless the seats are toast) Take about 5 bucks and 10 minutes time.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
quote;
You need a torch to solder... having "equipment" isn't really necessary here...

A torch and cleaning tools are "equipment". Flux and solder are "supplies". Not everyone has all of these sitting around the house waiting to be used.​

Okay well, for about $25 all of this "equipment" can be yours... I'm not sure what magical tool-less solution people think they're going to find on here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks