Pfister 3 handle shower replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

medic550

Reaction score
I have a 3 handle shower/tub set that was installed in early 90's. Can post photos soon but question i have. If i buy a new pfister handle system will it thread into the old fittings behind the wall. I understand they are mfg specific so if i stay with pfister i should not have a problem.

Frank

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can still buy replacement parts for the Price Pfhister three handle valve. I doubt that you can find an entire new valve. They haven't been legal in years.

pp_3v.gif

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

pp_three_handle.jpg

Last edited:

medic550

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the faucet set currently on my tub. I might be able to clean up the handles but i need new internals and trying to track down what the model of these are.

IMAG0144.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PP still makes 3 handle faucet sets, but they have ceramic seals. If I were repairing it, unless you wish to change its appearance, I would just convert it to "lifetime" ceramic seals, (do NOT try to do this yourself or you may end up replacing the entire faucet or destroy the new stems), and reuse the existing handles and trim.

phister-01-31xa-series-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PP 3 handle valves are extremely common. There are a few different stems, which vary only in the length of the stem and how the sleeve attaches. The new models all use the ceramic stems. Just take out your stems, take it to a good plumbing store, maybe even the local hardware store. They will have the parts. If it is the rubber washer type, you will also want to replace the internal seats ( they unscrew)

medic550

Reaction score
actually the only handle i really need to replace is the middle shower stem. I was going to take it all the way out and take to a plumbing store. Can that stem be removed without needing water shut off?

medic550

Reaction score
well. After pulling my hair out! The diverter is a compression type. The hot and cold are cermaic type. Replaced all 3 stems. On the diverter i also put a new seat seal in and when going from shower to tub and vice versa i get a little drip. Is there anything else i need to check.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The key component of the diverter is the white nylon gasket behind the nose. If it is bad, you will get flow from the tub when using the shower.
It is normal to have some dribble after turning off. How long that lasts depends on the shower head.

If you get dribble from the shower head when using tub spout, that is due to excess pressure in the house, probably. The black rubber washer on the diverter stem, and the in-wall seat, are part of it but usually don't cause much trouble.

medic550

Reaction score
OK. I have two white gaskets. One is by the threads that thread into the behind wall plumbing and smaller one down near the stem. Is the further one the one you were refering to as the neck?

Frank

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes...the outermost gasket it called the cap gasket...seals the body of the stem into the valve body. That one down near the "business end" is a back seat...when you turn the handle CCW for shower, the nose of the stem seats back against that, blocking the port where water can travel down to the spout.

Dereck

Reaction score
OK, I have an old price pfister setup like the one above. I recently replaced all three valves with new ones but still get a constant drip after I turn it off...even if I crank really hard to turn it off. I cranked so hard that the rubber was ruined and I had to replace it after only a month of use. Do I need to replace the seats? I am desperate for help. Thanks.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
OK, I have an old price pfister setup like the one above. I recently replaced all three valves with new ones but still get a constant drip after I turn it off...even if I crank really hard to turn it off. I cranked so hard that the rubber was ruined and I had to replace it after only a month of use. Do I need to replace the seats? I am desperate for help. Thanks.
Replace the seats. Install new washers after replacing the seats.

Dereck

Reaction score
Thank you, Hackney Plumbing. I will try and find some replacements seats as Lowes, or is there a better place to purchase them?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The valve seats are a few bucks.
Gas is hitting 4 dollars a gallon. How much shopping can you do to maybe save 10 cents?

pp-faucet-seat.jpg

Last edited:

Dereck

Reaction score
Good point-thankfully everything is right in a row here in Monroe, MI. so I can hit them all without going out of the way. I just made some calls and found what I needed at the local Ace hardware-including the seat wrench. Off I go.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure about your neck of the woods...but around here, that is the most common shower valve found in houses and apartment late '80s and back. You can get those parts at Walmart, Walgreens, or probably 7-11!~

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you sprung for a "good" plumber, he could convert your faucet to "lifetime" stems, but only a "good" plumber will know how to do it without ruining the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks