Back Butter Buddy - Tool Review

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I just opened up my newest package today and inside was a brand new Back Butter Buddy. What a genius invention this little gizmo is. I have had the pleasure of following the inventors process while he fined tuned the design over these past 14 months and waiting for it to come to be has been like waiting for Christmas.

It is so simple and yet so genius. Anyone who sets tile at one point has used their water bucket as a rest for tiles to be back buttered. This tool simply sits on top of most any 3 or 5 gallon bucket and gives the user a lazy Susan still spin feature. Setting a lot of tile it can be a ton of extra work back butter every one. Espically if you have to hold and flip each one.

This little tool makes short work of it.

I'm going to enjoy using this tool and will report back in my findings of it's use on our next tile project.

If your not familiar with back butter take a look at this video to understand what this step is.

One thing to check before stacking tiles like shown is that the back sides have been cleaned and washed. Some tiles back to front can cause transfer so make sure you check this before stacking a load of tiles this way. One trick would be to use scraps of cardboard or Ram Board between tiles if there is a risk of scratching. I find it rare that there is transfer or scratching but make sure you do.

To quote the inventor of this tool.

"I can not wait to take it for a spin!"

Top view of the new Back Butter Buddy - other than the crappy grout in the picture (Star Quartz Urethane) you can see the simple design of this tool. It spins left. It spins right. If you have ever spend hours and hours back buttering tile you get what a pain it is to clean your hands and always be flipping your grip. Most setters don't back butter tiles anyway - this is the job for the apprentice or helper.

Here is a look at how you use your new tool from Pr1mo Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Primo Tool Review - Back Butter Buddy

This new back butter tool is made by a company called Primo Tools.

Here is a look at the bottom side of the Back Butter Buddy.

If you would like more information on the back butter buddy and Primo Tools visit their webpage here.

http://www.primo-tools.com/products/back-butter-buddy.html

To find out where to order locally or online contact

Rich Maggio
Cell: (949) 295-4006
Rich.Maggio@primo-tools.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed!
If for any reason you are not satisfied with any Primo Tools product, we will refund your purchase price. No questions asked.

USA OFFICE:
22362 Gilberto Street, Suite 215
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688

Some testing in regards to the benefit of back buttering tile.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Perfect gift for a tile contractor

One thing I will start to add to my recommendation list for Christmas Gifts is this little tool. I think they sell around the $20.00 mark and this a great price point for a tradesman gift.

Buying a new diamond blade is the best tip a tile guy can get, maybe some new tile polishing pads and now this.

For me I'd buy it just to keep my hands cleaner. I find flipping the tile I often get more on my hands and this technique I'm sure will make for a tidy jobsite and much less time spent cleaning my hands.

Love it.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How to order a "Back Butter Buddy" online

I did a quick search for the Back Butter Buddy online to find out how you can order one. These units will be sold locally as well so before ordering online "Shop Local". Contact Rich to find the closest dealer in your town.

Rich Maggio
Cell: (949) 295-4006
Rich.Maggio@primo-tools.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed!
If for any reason you are not satisfied with any Primo Tools product, we will refund your purchase price. No questions asked.

USA OFFICE:
22362 Gilberto Street, Suite 215
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688

Some testing in regards to the benefit of back buttering tile.

Here is what I found. Pricing as of today when I searched.

Tile Tools sells them for $27.95 USD plus shipping - http://tiletools.com/us/category/back-butter-buddy/

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Trowels/Back-Butter-Buddy

Flooring Supply lists the Back Butter Buddy at $19.95 USD plus shipping - https://www.flooringsupplyshop.com/index.php?main_page=quick_checkout

So far these are the only outlets I have found. I'm sure they will pop up in our local tile suppliers everywhere soon enough.

pgc555

Reaction score
Thanks John for the review. Please forward this link to any Tile guys/girls you know

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks John for the review. Please forward this link to any Tile guys/girls you know

Is this Phil? Of course.

Don't be so humble. Take a bow.

You should send one to Terry and one to Jim. Both these men will rate your new product fairly and I'm sure become fans of it like me.

Jim (the guy with the big red shoe) spends more time online than me. And he tiles so winning him over would go a long way to helping out your cause. If we can get more people to understand that back buttering is one big key step to a successful install we are headed in a great direction.

JW

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Core Training with the Back Butter Buddy

We love to watch Dragon's Den and the Shark Tank here at home and my wife loves the invention from the dancer who developed the core trainer. http://www.mastermoves.com

Have you seen this. Yesterday My wife brought it up again and I got to thinking she could use the Back Butter Buddy instead.

I would laugh if this is possible.

Now I weigh 233 so I should not use it but my wife is only 118 pounds. I bet she can use the Back Butter Buddy for core training just like the master moves. I'll get her a three foot level instead of the stick they sell. lol

pgc555

Reaction score
Hi John,
Have YOU got to use the BBB yet? Got pictures or video?
Just checking back in - Phil

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It's going to be a Back Butter Buddy Day. Not many tiles to set but looking forward to spinning the large format tile on the Back Butter Buddy.

JW

pgc555

Reaction score
Hi John,
Did you ever get to do this job? I'm putting together a compilation video from many that have used the BBB and sent me videos or pictures.
Phil

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Back Butter Buddy or Master Moves!!!

Hi John,
Did you ever get to do this job? I'm putting together a compilation video from many that have used the BBB and sent me videos or pictures.
Phil

Phil we decided to upgrade the basement bath to have a linear drain under the door so are making some changes to the set up. Won't be tiling till Friday this week. Will get ypu some shots then. My kids have stolen the Back Butter Buddy from me and are using it to tighten up their abs!!!

We watched the guy on Dragon's Den pitch "Master Moves" and the kids have tried it out and it works great.... LOL

[video=youtube_share;G8BjOBWHH1g]http://youtu.be/G8BjOBWHH1g[/video]

Instead of the fancy stick they are using a 2' level........

pgc555

Reaction score
Hey John,
I'm putting together some videos from guys that used the BBB and wanted to know if you had anything yet that I could include into this group? - Phil

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Hey John,
I'm putting together some videos from guys that used the BBB and wanted to know if you had anything yet that I could include into this group? - Phil

When is the deadline? Went out golfing yesterday and to a buddy's place for a pig roast. Not to much work on the old homestead this weekend. JW

pgc555

Reaction score
NO real deadline, I could ADD to it at any time. Just wanted to give you ( or any others here ) the opportunity

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Back Butter Buddy Action Video(s)

Hot of the press.

The Back Butter Buddy in action......

[video=youtube_share;aNWZuUlYckw]http://youtu.be/aNWZuUlYckw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;NcpqasxRTw0]http://youtu.be/NcpqasxRTw0[/video]

Great little tool.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks