Cleaning trapped water and wax from your ears - The Elephant Ear Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
We recently got back from a family vacation to California where we went to Disney Land. On the first day we went swimming and I was swimming to the bottom of the pool and letting my little one swim over top of me. The game was fun and the pool fantastic, until I felt something pop in my ear. I felt pressure all of a sudden and had the feeling of water trapped inside my ear and try as I might I could not remove it.

That night I had a hot shower and tried cleaning my ear with a Q-Tip. This only made things worse. I woke up and my ear was killing me. I went out to the pharmacy and picked up some ear wax remover thinking this would help me get the water out by removing the wax. After 4 days of treatment no luck. My hearing was affected on this side and the constant pain was a real drag on our vacation.

I tired water remover next. Again no luck and decided to suck it up until I got home. We did have travel medical insurance but did not what to risk hurting my ear at a clinic and then having to fly. The thought of flying with a hurt ear was not appealing but the return trip caused me no pain at all. My wife told me about a great new drop in clinic here in North Vancouver and said that the doctors are great. I went in was taken in right away.

The doctor was fantastic and took one peak in my ear with his ear camera and said I was fully blocked and would be good as new in 5 minutes. No drugs. No medication. No sidewalks. He grabbed a large squirt bottle and said "Prepare to enter the land of the hearing".

The Elephant Ear Washer

Now I have suffered with wax in my ears for a long time and 12 years ago had my ears flushed at a hospital in Mykonos on my honeymoon after a week of antibiotics for an ear infection I got diving off the shores of Santorini the day before we got married. I tried having my ears flushed by my family doctor about 4 years ago and the procedure was different and the cleaning tool looked like a turkey baster and not this Elephant Ear Washer. The procedure hurt like hell and I asked the doctor to stop. I have feared the procedure ever since but had to get this blockage fixed.

There was some slight discomfort by the procedure but most of this do to the fact that I was bracing for a blast of pain that never came. I held the water catcher and after about four squirts felt instant relief. The doctor told me to take a peak at what came out. I did and it's disgusting.

Water catcher

You can see how small the tube is that is inserted into your ear for cleaning. The doctor was a pro and he cleaned both of my ears. I felt dizzy (really dizzy) for about 20 minutes after and it took a good day for my balance to return to me. My ears still feel gold outside and my hearing is like the Six Million Dollar Man and I can swear I can hear a cat meow from a city block. I'm so glad I found this clinic and more so this tool.

If your hearing is going or you have bad ears I suggest you try this procedure. I have never tried ear candling before and am not sure I like the idea of paying $70.00 for someone to light fire to a wax paper cone near my ears. This procedure is covered by our medical plan and cost me nothing!

If you want to see what came out. Click on this link below. Do not look if you are easliy grossed out.

If your in Vancouver the clinic I went to was on Marine Drive near the Save On Foods Store and Sleep Country.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Candling works also.

Nice that you got a fix.

Don't they make earplugs anymore ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Our doctor has always recommended the high pressure spray of the shower head.

Since you are a shower builder John, I figured you would be all over this.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Our doctor has always recommended the high pressure spray of the shower head.

Since you are a shower builder John, I figured you would be all over this.

My kids have been taught to put nothing smaller than their elbow in there ear. Dad needs to heed this advice. I'm going to have this done routinely going forward. Perhaps a hand held would do the job but I think it's the small blast from that nozzle on the Ear Elephant that works best. My wife is next - her right ear has been bugging her and now that my hearing has so greatly improved she is game to try it.

JW

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Cleaning your ears for better hearing - Elephant Ear Washer

I have noticed myself asking my kids to repeat themselves more and more lately and can not stop thinking about how well I could hear after the doctor cleaned my ears with the Elephant Ear Washer. I remember my ear drums being cold for days because the blanket of wax was gone. Now I don't feel my ear's getting cold and I think that I have the start of another blockage.

Your ears are suppose to be self cleaning. My addiction to Q-Tips I'm sure not a good thing.

Does anyone have an ear washer and do they do it themselves?

I'm thinking I should just go a get it done again but wonder how hard it is to do yourself.

I spoke to my wife and she keeps saying she needs to try but never has. Has anyone else done this lately here?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
If you find yourself having poor balance you might need your ears cleaned. I got the old ear blast again about six months back. My ears still feel great and I have cut down to cleaning my ears with Q-tips from 2-4 q-tips per day to 4-6 per week.

This I hope will allow me to go longer periods between ear washes.

I also notice my hearing has been much better this last six months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks