Moen Faucet Cartridges

Users who are viewing this thread

Fatmobile

Reaction score
Me and my Dad recently replaced one. I was wondering how they work. Are there any diagrams of how the water flow works. So far my understanding is that the hot and cold water come to the same point and based on which way you turn it, the water will mix to be hotter or colder. From looking at the cartridge it seemed a lot more complicated and I was wondering what all the parts do?

Thanks, and sorry if it is too broad a question.
I may add a picture.

Attachments

• cartridge diagram.png
    cartridge diagram.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The cold water comes in from one side and the hot from the other. With Moen it doesn't make any difference which sides they are on. The center "spool" rotates from one side to the other. Depending on where it is positioned, the opening only flows cold water, hot water, or a varying mixture as it rotates from one side to the other.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have the basic idea. In addition to the function of mixing, the cartridge has to have seals which keep water from leaking out around the cartridge stem and body. That is some of the items you pointed to in the picture.

Fatmobile

Reaction score
I guess I was asking what the holes in the middle of the cartridge are for. I have the general idea of how it works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks