Electric water heater manufacturing element quality going bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have some water heaters with heavy useage. The well water quality is good by tests and within norms.

I have used several brands of elements, usually 3500 and 4500 watt, of all density types. I used to get about 2 or 3 years + from an element. Lately, I am changing elements like batteries in a kids toy.

Heaters are drained regularly and I recently vacuumed out the calcium debri in the bottom of one. Installed a Camco mfg. lime life ripple super low watt density element. Blew out at one of the sharp bends in 2 months. Looks like the metal was stretched too thin there. Almost no calcium-lime build up on the element. Quiet in operation. Another went zonkers and blew out in a few areas and bent itself up into a pretzel.

NO dry firing. A mediuim density fold back element also blew in 6 months.

Do anode rods protect the heating element as well as the tank? Any ideas?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. I have used many of the Camco Lime Life elements without problems like you are facing. I would say given the number of failures you have had the problem is unique to you.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Another Camco "lifetime" element blew its nichrome wire through the casing within 3 months. Hardly any lime on the element. Maybe Camco moved its MFG. to china or bangladesh.

Customer NO-service from Camco, and the store too. Guess I'll go back to Graingers who send out new ones with a single phone call.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I haven't seen it myself...
I use quite a few of them I carry them on my truck for use.

I'd suspect something else is causing your problem...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some things I'd check:
- Make sure that the power inlet wires are tight and the proper gauge.
- Make sure you have a good ground lead
- See if you have an a/c potential between the pipes and the ground wire
- at the panel, see if you have a potential between the ground and the neutral
- if your meter has a peak hold or an 'instantaneous' reading, check to see if there are any excessive peaks or dropouts.
- make sure that the leads are tight at the CB
- pull the CB and look to see if there is any evidence of overheating, or poor contacts on both the CB and the bus bar; if old, consider replacing the CB. If the bus bar is burnt, move to another slot, or replace the panel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks