Buy a compound miter saw or keep the one I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smhowell

Reaction score
Shortly before I moved and lost my workshop (several years ago), I purchased a Delta 36-235 12" compound miter saw. I've never had it out of the box. Now they have laser guided tools, which I think is a neat idea. A salesman at a local home improvement center told me that the old tools were better built than the newer ones.

It looks like I could add an after-market laser guide for around $80.

So the question is; should I keep this miter saw or sell it and get one of the newer technology ones?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Heck, I'd keep the thing. While its brand new and never even been out of the box. its unlikely you're going to sell it for the same amount you bought it for. I have a Delta 12" compound miter saw without the laser guide and it works fine. Yeah, I think the laser feature is rather cool too, but I've lived without it this long, I can live without it until I NEED to replace the saw.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Send the thing to me! Just kidding.
I agree with Rio. Keep it. I have mostly nice name brand tools in my shop but the one thing that isn't is my compound miter saw. I bought it brand new at a "??-Mart" type store for something ridiculous like $99. As far as cheapies go, I haven't had a problem with it, so I'm keeping it till it dies. One of my relatives' neighbors has a nice new laser saw and I drool over it when I visit. But the one I have has done quite well in building a deck for the pool along with other projects. The laser is a sweet thing but a good old carpenter's pencil still works wonders.

JHPIV

Reaction score
Keep the Delta!

As a carpenter I used lots of different saws. I found delta to be a pretty reliable quality brand of miter saw. I'm a DeWalt fan myself, but Delta is no slouch.
As far as the laser guide, I personally think it is a novelty. I have always sighted down the edge of the blade to the pencil mark on the board being cut. I leave a little extra on the first cut, and shave it off with a second pass. For rough cutting, you can get to within 1/16 pretty easily this way. I can usually cut right on the line using this method. I personally don't think the laser line is going to get you any closer. It may be easier to see, but If you already have a perfectly good saw, keep it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks