Access panel required?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I'm in Seattle in if matters... for slip joints such as for a tub waste and overflow connection is an access panel required by code or not? I thought it was but (on another thread) it sounds like maybe not? Who can set the record straight?

Thanks.

Plumber2011

Expert Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.norwoodplumbing.com
Hi David...

An access panel is required just about everywhere that I know of and it was a code that was reinforced for a really long time, but nowadays, in most places, the inspectors seem to be backing off of it as a requirement and allowing us to install tub wastes without access panels. It has certainly made many homeowners happy as they no longer need these ugly access panels in their hallways, right? In my area, when we need access to the drain piping (if can't be accessed through the basement) then we simply cut the access panel in at the time needed and frame out for a proper access panel.

Wait to see what others say, OK?

Good luck!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have had to open up a bunch of ceilings in a downstairs apartment, because the tub above started leaking. These were built in the 50s with slip joint waste/overflow. So they got 40+ years out of them, and they never used access panels!

I do not know what they are doing in new construction today, but my sense is it is all glued ABS. That is what I like.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jimbo,
The funny thing is that I've gone in and replaced cracked ABS p-traps on tubs. So even the plastic is not permanent.
At least, we will always have work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neither the plastic nor the metal likes to be under stress. Some places, especially those prone to earthquakes, tend to move around and can generate stresses. Even on new construction, there may be a little settling over the first year or two, and maybe more often during/after a good shake. The plastic gets a little brittle as it gets older. The metal gets corroded and can crack easier. Nothing is permanent, it's just how often you may get before it does die that differs. Regardless, an access panel makes life easier down the road, but if the walls are not tiled or plaster, cutting a hole when needed in drywall, is pretty quick and easy. Now, it gets messier if it is say paneled, faux finished, or wallpapered, but hey, making the hole is easy!

If you look at the earthquake maps, most places get them, the differences are frequency and magnitude.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. But I am still scratching my head here wondering how it is that I cannot locate a Sch 40 W&O in polished nickel in the entire Seattle area... really?! (Consolidated, Pacific, Aurora, Morgans: zippo). The tub backs to a room w/ drywall so cutting a hole later would be trivial... don't really see the reason to provide an ugly panel now rather than cutting in later.

Guess I am going to go w/ a slip joint I did find and try to forgo the panel unless inspector is immovable on subject.

(Too late to talk to someone today... don't want to wait another day... ugh)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks