Ideas on how to get a 150# water heater into the attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

ForrestGump

Reaction score
How do you pros go about getting a 50 gal water heater thats weighs 150lbs into a attic?

I have a staircase inside a 1 story house in the hallway and the water heater is 3 feet from attic opening.
I thought of getting a come along and hook it to the new water heater and the rafters.
Would it be ok to take 2 - 3/4 galvanized T's connected to the hot and cold nipples with a large bolt running though the T's so I can hook the come along hook to? Would this damage the tank?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what I use....

Generally when I got a really mean water heater
to install I let my apprentice do the lifting....LOL

and if it is extra extra mean, then I hire someone from
manpower for the day....to help the apprentice do the lifting....

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So just a copper flex line is strong enough to hold it on the come along?

I'm not going to guarantee that.
I do it. But then I do lots of things that can't be done too.
Lot's of times I just use a flex that is going to be tossed anyway.
I like the fact that there is some give to it, and that it makes a nice handle for my hand.
If you can have someone below helping a bit, that's even better.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
How do you pros go about getting a 50 gal water heater thats weighs 150lbs into a attic?

I have a staircase inside a 1 story house in the hallway and the water heater is 3 feet from attic opening.
I thought of getting a come along and hook it to the new water heater and the rafters.
Would it be ok to take 2 - 3/4 galvanized T's connected to the hot and cold nipples with a large bolt running though the T's so I can hook the come along hook to? Would this damage the tank?

Sounds like a perfect time to convert to a tankless water heater!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would definitely use HJs sling method when lowering the old heater...

I would not trust those old nipples to hold...they might but...

I wouldn't want to be the guy on the bottom if they didn't.

sex_through_the_floor.jpg

Last edited:

ForrestGump

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to buy GE 12yr 50gal water heater today at HD and install it on Saturday.

I will try to make a YouTube video of me getting it into the attic and post the link to it here next week.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

I'm glad we have VERY few basements, and VERY few heaters in the attic around here. It could end up like a supply house years ago. They had a shaft where they used a hoist to lift items up to the higher levels. A new guy was getting a cast iron bathtub down from the third floor and tied the cable through the wooden slats at the end, instead of through the waste and overflow holes. When the staples pulled out and the tub hit the clay tile pipe and fittings in the basement, it sounded like an atomic bomb had gone off. There wasn't much of the tub's enameled finish left either.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater in attic

Now ! !
Would be a "very good" time to install that new drain pan under that new heater run the 1" pvc across the attic and down the
outside of the house, ! !

Before you wake up some morning taking a shower in bed ! !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had a gas WH, I'd probably install a WAGS valve when replacing it...it shuts both the gas and water off if it starts to leak. www.wagsvalve.com No power, it's all mechanical. Uses the same type of actuator that triggers the inflation of safety floatation vests used on airplanes - all it needs is to get wet and a spring and switch does the rest.

Hube

Reaction score
Just tie it onto the bottom of a helicopter and drop it thru the roof.:)
....lol... stoooopid idea eh?
About as stoooopid an idea as having a hw tank in the attic!!!:eek:

S

jfarnold

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
I would get a friend or neighbor or two to help me if I didn't feel I could do it myself. I would be afraid of yanking out some structural member through some mishap with your chain and strap. And yes as an apprentice it's me doing it, with a song in my heart.

It's just like carrying a drunken fat chick up a flight of stairs, it's not moving Cheops.

If you're replacing 7 year old water heaters, you need to more aggressively insulate it and the pipes to keep the condensation from eating it up again.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks