Installing thermostatic mixing valve

Users who are viewing this thread

bimmer

Reaction score
I am installing a thermostatic mixing valve in my shower. Instruction manual says to install water hammer arrestors. The shower that I am replacing had no such arrestors and there was no noise from the pipes. That being said do you think arrestors would be required in this case? Also what is the best way to securse the mixing valve to the 1x4 backing? The valve is fairly heavy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions - if they say to install arrestors, do it. Use the piston/cylinder type, not just a simple air chamber. Oatley and Sioux City make some, and I'm sure other companies.

Some of the valves have screw holes to anchor them, some you need to use some straps or clamps. Sometimes, you have to get creative.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the thermostatic valves....too pricey, I guess! But I do think they use a wax-type cartridge in the temperature regulating section. I can envision where this type of device would not be happy with any water hammer, so I understand the recommendation. I would try to find a place, near the shower but not in the wall, to put these if at all possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks