Beating my brains out!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

dcsommer

Reaction score
I need some troubleshooting help, big time.

When in my downstairs master bathroom that is adjacent to the water heater in the garage, I get an in-the-wall dripping sound ONLY when running the hot water in the sinks. I removed (destroyed) the drywall from the garage wall and cieling, and have only found a PVC vent pipe that rises between two studs until it makes an 90 degree for about 2 feet into the garage (parallel with cieling), then makes another 90 degree and heads up through the second floor tongue-in-groove OSB deck.

I believe that the PVC is some sort of vent pipe, and that when I grab it at the elbow the dripping noise ends. Is this posssible? The pipe and elbow joints move pretty easily when grabbed, and I am in North Carolina where it recently became a little chilly. It is a tract house built during the early 90's, and I am not completely confident to rule anything out.

The plumbing in my house is poly with copper elbows if that matters, at least what I can see of it. I know the issues with poly and am hoping it is not that. I don't believe it should be with the copper fittings.

Please let me know if you need more info. I am hoping to solve this issue before demolition heads toward interior walls. I tell my wife I am going to tear our house down looking for a drip. The crown royal highballs it is forcing me to drink does not make the situation better!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you don't see any signs of water, it may be that the pipe gets longer when you run hot water through it.
Then as it cools, it shortens back up again.

Most of the time, it's more of a knocking or clicking sound.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've got the same problem under my bathroom sink where someone ran CPVC thru the floor then pulled the pipe over to force it to the sink...every time the pipe warms up it sounds like dripping water on the floor.

dcsommer

Reaction score
You guys are good. Worked to perfection. I was telling the story at the office yesterday and someone recommended replacing the WD-40 with baby powder for longer lasting solution. Anyone ever heard of that?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Baby powder has talc/talcum powder which consist of sliding plates of material much like graphite... graphite would work good too, repel water and be a super good lubricant....but it's nasty as hell.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mark... try Udder Balm... that's the greatest stuff in the world for any kind of chaffing and great for sun burn too as well as raw hands from dishwashing, psoriasis...etc. Most farm stores sell it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks