Therma-flow/Everhot water heater issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Just got the service done on my furnace and oil fired water heater. After the service was done the tech pointed out a corroded inlet nipple on the water heater. He said the inlet nipple is "one piece" with the tank, so the whole water heater (minus the burner) needs to be replaced.

Anyone know anything about this water heater? Just trying to figure out if it is necessary to replace the whole thing or if they were just trying to sell me a bridge.

The heater is an E30GL, 30 gallon oil fired. its about 10 years old....not sure if its really past its life or not.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
the tech pointed out a corroded inlet nipple on the water heater. He said the inlet nipple is "one piece" with the tank, so the whole water heater (minus the burner) needs to be replaced.
You might have a galvanic corrosion issue.
The manufacturer may have a parts list showing if this piece is separate from the tank.
For a second opinion as to repairs, find a machine shop that makes house calls.
You can modify a $16 water level detector to alarm when, and if, this thing starts leaking.

If this boiler can be considered "HVAC equip.", 83% have lasted longer than this.
If it's comparable to a gas WH, 81% have lasted longer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You might want to take your model #/serial # and call the manufacturer to verify that the fellow is correct about the nipple and dip tube arrangement on this glass lined tank.

Where is the corrosion occurring on the nipple?

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
You might want to take your model #/serial # and call the manufacturer to verify that the fellow is correct about the nipple and dip tube arrangement on this glass lined tank.

Where is the corrosion occurring on the nipple?

Ill get a pic when I have time, but there is probably about 2" or so of pipe nipple exiting the case of the heater before it connects to the copper supply. Those 2" show corrosion on them, Im not sure if it goes farther down than that, as the top of the case is covering the rest of the inlet.

Will contact the manufacturer tomorrow. it seems like Im not completely nuts in thinking this water heater shouldnt be on its last leg already.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Called TFI/Everhot and they laughed at the suggestion I need a whole new tank.

Local HVAC place got the dip tube drop shipped to me, I installed it tonight (old one came out easy, but heck if I could get the new one threaded in right away!!! took me a while but I got it)

Thanks again.

-Chris

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Called TFI/Everhot and they laughed at the suggestion I need a whole new tank.

Local HVAC place got the dip tube drop shipped to me, I installed it tonight (old one came out easy, but heck if I could get the new one threaded in right away!!! took me a while but I got it)

Thanks again.

-Chris

Glad to hear the good guys won one! I thought the nipple claim was suspicious. Generally the things are threaded in rather than welded to the vessel, but I couldn't tell from the drawings I located.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Yeah, in the back of my mind I thought it was odd for everything to be one piece also. But its OK that they *almost* had me (not quite), otherwise I would have ended up in an argument with the tech about it being separate parts.

FYI the oil co gave me a "generous" estimate of 50 times what the part cost me, to replace the whole tank. Not quite sure if they are trying to make $$$ or truly believe its all one piece.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
So, with the whole new tank. . .
Honest mistake?
Incompetence?
He didn't care either way?

jaywalsh31

Reaction score
Just got the service done on my furnace and oil fired water heater. After the service was done the tech pointed out a corroded inlet nipple on the water heater. He said the inlet nipple is "one piece" with the tank, so the whole water heater (minus the burner) needs to be replaced.

Anyone know anything about this water heater? Just trying to figure out if it is necessary to replace the whole thing or if they were just trying to sell me a bridge.

The heater is an E30GL, 30 gallon oil fired. its about 10 years old....not sure if its really past its life or not.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old thread needed to reply

These guys at thermaflow are the best. They are located in water town Boston. I needed a coil for a water boiler at 2pm on a Friday. They made me one custom it was ready by the time my helper got their to pick it up. These guys are awesome and they make a beautiful product. I never removed a leaking one. I'm sure they fail but I see them all the time and they are in great shape. Even the smaller 30 gallons have 2 high end anode rods. Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks