Running wire through header

Users who are viewing this thread

flyhop

Reaction score
Wife wants a light installed above the pass-through/breakfast bar. This pass-through (PT) is a 4x6 rectangular hole cut through the wall separating the kitchen and our living room. It's a load-bearing wall, so a header was installed (2 2x10s sandwiching 1/2 plywood). Header sits on a jack stud at each end which is adjacent to a sole to top plate stud ("king stud"?).

Anyway, the plan is for 3-way wiring to be run to this light. The supply line will have to come UP in a narrow chase created by the king/jack studs holding up this header and king/jack studs 5 inches away holding up a doorway header. All of this is interior framing. I was planning on drilling a 3/4' hole through the very top of the jack stud so that the wiring would come out at the bottom of and would be stapled to the header. A jamb will provide a chase for this wiring, and all will be encased in trim. At least, that's the plan.

Is there code that says I can't drill a hole through the king and jack studs for wiring? Or can you come down from the top of and go through a header (i.e. drill 3/4" through center of header)? Inspectors are due out tomorrow.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This is a building code question not an electrical code question.

personally I would say no

Mchiarit

Reaction score
Inspection done?

I am curious. Did you drill the 3/4 hole? I suspect it was okay but would like to know for my own future reference.

Construct30

Reaction score
Maybe a little late, but code requires that any wire that is not 1 3/8" from the edge of a framing member has to be protected by metal, ie a plate or metal conduit. No, you cannot run a wire in the "chase" made by the trim.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks