little emergency

Users who are viewing this thread

Richb2

Reaction score
I am putting in a wood floor in my dining room. The baseboard radiator is too low to the floor for me to slide the new flooring under it. Someone recommended that I detach the radiator from the wall, push it up an inch or two, and reattach it. I started doing this, but the inlet copper pipe into the baseboard is now leaking. I have a torch and solder and flux. But there is water in the radiator. Do I need to drain the radiator first before soldering? How do I that?. At the oil burner?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A pipe needs to be dry before you can solder. Before you drain anything, make sure you turn the boiler off. There is normally a drain valve near the boiler. If it has an auto makeup fill valve, make sure that is turned off, too.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
be careful-- you got a mean job on your hands....

re-soldering an old copper radaitor joint is
not something easy...thta just falls into place

at least not for me........

It is most likely dirty
inside the joint and you will probably be faced with
takeing the joint apart and cleaning the fittings....

you might need to blow pressurised air through that
]radiator to get the water out of the way...

goood luck....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

If moving the radiation caused a leak, then the joint was never made properly so it is going to be corroded inside the fitting. You will never get the fitting and copper clean, you will never get the flux to flow into the joint, and you will never get solder to enter the joint to make even a marginal sweat connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks