New question about hot water heater!!! Sorry for all the questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
Folks, I have a question about the hot water heater hookups. I have one that is copper to the water heater, and that is the hot water, and the cold supply pipe ends up in a threaded connection where a fiber type hose is going to the cold water. Should I take that out and make it a copper permanent soldered connection, or is this hose okay? I just want to make sure that I'm not going to be suprised with a rip at some point. What is the typical hot water heater install supposed to look like?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When you say fiber could it be braded stainless steel?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suggest you use flexible copper on both hot and cold. Plumbing solid is somewhat difficult and really has no advantage. The flex copper has 3/4" female pipe threads on both ends and makes the connection very simple.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
Cass said:
When you say fiber could it be braded stainless steel?

Not sure about the stainless steel, but it has 2 3/4 inch screw on connectors on each side, and yes, it is braided with some type of fiber. It probably is stainless steel if that is common.

Gary, i'll look into the flex copper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either the braided or the flex copper should be fine.

These connectors use a rubber washer for the seal.
No Teflon tape should be used there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks