Sweating lines,prep draining,concrete slab.

Users who are viewing this thread

63belv

Reaction score
Installing new sink& vanity. When line is coming up through slab, what is best way to drain water? Also there is a mixing valve supplying hot or cold water to toilet. Are these valves still used?Local Home Center no help on valve.Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is slope away from the house, attach a garden hose to a bibb; open a few COLD taps in the house ( keep the hots closed) and open the bibb after shutting off the main valve. When working on a low section like you may be, you might even need to use a shop vac to either suck or blow the pipes down.

Sounds like you have a tempering valve on the toilet. These are used if you live in a cold climate. The water entering the toilet is so cold, warm moist air inside the bathroom condenses on the cold porcelain tank and drips onto the floor. By mixing the toilet supply to a moderate temperature, this problem is eliminated.

A tempering valve is a common plumbing supply item, but is not likely to be found at a box store. Any plumbing supply house will have it.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Question Jimbo

when doing repairs on copper ,i usually open all house faucets and hose bibbs. will i get better results with cold open and hot closed?

Thank's Tool

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you open any hots, you tend to siphon the water heater, which can take longer and may never end!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks