Norris One piece Toilet water seeping in the toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

shopping.deal

Reaction score
Hi,

We have been facing an issue of water seeping into toilet bowl forcing toilet tank to fill periodically - as water level goes down periodically. We replaced the flapper (blue rabbit ear one) multiple times w/o any success. We also tried cleaning the brass flush valve to remove sediments during the replacement of the flapper. We were thinking of replacing the toilets to avoid wasting the water but wanted to check if we can address the issue w/o replacing the toilet - as toilet it self is working fine. Note: This toilet must have installed during 1993.

btw, we ensured the water is leaking into the bowl by putting colored dye (one get it from Ace Hardware) in the toilet tank.

Would appreciate any pointers/help.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rub your finger around the seal where the flapper goes...if it is rough or has a chip or lump on it, the flapper can't seal properly. Some flappers have both ears and a ring...if yours do, do NOT use both, cut the ring off so only the ears are holding the flapper...using both can often distort the thing, warping it and preventing it from sealing.

Last thing, the gasket that is holding the flush valve assembly is held together with a big nut on the bottom of the tank. If that is loose or the gasket degraded, it can leak. You may just need to remove the tank and tighten the nut holding things in place.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
rub your finger around the seal where the flapper goes...if it is rough or has a chip or lump on it, the flapper can't seal properly. Some flappers have both ears and a ring...if yours do, do not use both, cut the ring off so only the ears are holding the flapper...using both can often distort the thing, warping it and preventing it from sealing.

Last thing, the gasket that is holding the flush valve assembly is held together with a big nut on the bottom of the tank. If that is loose or the gasket degraded, it can leak. You may just need to remove the tank and tighten the nut holding things in place.

note one piece toilets don't use that set up

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a builders graded toilet, probably not a good flush performer. But it can be fixed, and if you otherwise have no problem with it, you should fix it since a new one piece will be pricey.

Look for 3 bolts outside the perimeter of the flush valve. Try just tightening them up. If that doesn't help, remove the flush valve ( held in by those screws) and get a new gasket, or a whole new valve/

shopping.deal

Reaction score
That is a builders graded toilet, probably not a good flush performer. But it can be fixed, and if you otherwise have no problem with it, you should fix it since a new one piece will be pricey.

Look for 3 bolts outside the perimeter of the flush valve. Try just tightening them up. If that doesn't help, remove the flush valve ( held in by those screws) and get a new gasket, or a whole new valve/

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't find 3 bolts that you mentioned. I'm attaching couple of photos of flush valve. Would appreciate if you have any suggestion on replacement part and/or how would it cost.

IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shopping.deal

Reaction score
Thanks. I definitely noticed the surface is not smooth. Not sure what caused it. Since it is a one piece toilet there are no nuts below the tank.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yuuuuuuuuuuup.... the seating surface is pitted. The big screw down there is what will remove the flush valve. You might even get away with dressing the seat with some emery.

Lawrence Kahn

Reaction score
I have two of these Norris toilets installed circa 1978. The Coast Foundry flush valve shown in the photos above came with a rather large gasket. Unfortunately, chloramene in our water has turned these gaskets into a tarry mess. The gaskets (washers?) now available simply can't seal because the hole in the porcelain is straight-sided. If I crank on the (admittedly very odd) attaching device in order to force the gasket to seal, it will probably destroy the porcelain. All the surfaces on my flush valve are smooth. I'd love to just replace these two one-piece toilets but I can't find one with an elongated bowl and a maximum height of 22 inches. What about an automotive product called Form-a-Gasket? This is really getting desperate; I didn't actually plan to spend my meager remaining time on the planet mucking about with this nonsense. I have NO PROBLEM with paying a professional to deal with this, but the best advice I've gotten is "replace the toilets". Great.
Flush Valve Catalog.jpg
Replacement Washer - Bad 2.JPG
Tank Hole.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check out a hardware store and see if you can find a washer for that.
A little Silicone may help too.

Though sometimes with a new washer, it's just a matter of making sure the porcelain inside the tank is smooth. A little emory cloth helps.

norris-wall-hung-terrylove-1.jpg

norris-wall-hung-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks