What if sewerage backs up into tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just wanted to see what you guys think on this. I've been doing a pile of remodeling and repairs on an old river cottage. The toilet is slow to drain. The tub taps in past the toilet and the tub is not vented... everything else is vented properly (tub trap gurgles when toilet is flushed). The question is... what is to keep that tub from backing up with sewerage if the sewer line to the septic tank stops up? How would you plumb a drain to prevent this without using a back flow preventer? Is this addressed in a code somewhere?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the tub is the lowest fixture it's going to happen unless a backwater valve is used.

John

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't stop it. Back water valves are illegal in most places without permission

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the toilet is slow to drain, it may be in the lower trapway of the bowl.
If you have a main line backup, then yes, the tub can start filling, and before that you may see water seeping out from under the toilet bowl.
If that is the case, then clearing the main line may be an answer.

It's easy enough to pull the toilet and bring it outside and see how it works when it's not connected to the house plumbing. And then while you have it out, it's a good time to throw it in the back the truck and dispose of it. If nothing else, you can take a good look at the lower trapway and see if that needs clearing and take a garden hose to it before reinstalling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks