Price Phister AVANTE, removing mixing valve cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

TexasUltra

Reaction score
I have what I was told by the guy at the hardware store is a Price Phister (AVANTE) valve. I tried to remove the old cartridge with no luck. :confused:
Is there a retainer clip or screw from the back holding the cartridge in place?
Is it just mineral build up? Any ideas for mineral removal woud be great.

Attachments

• MixingValve.jpg
    MixingValve.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 13,482

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
grab hold of the stem with a pair of vice grips and give it a sharp outward tub.

You do have the water turned off, right???

pp_avante_valve.jpg

avante-cartridge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasUltra

Reaction score
grab hold of the stem with a pair of vice grips and give it a sharp outward tub.

You do have the water turned off, right???

I used the knob (screwed back on) and pulled 'till I thought the copper would break. Wouldn't that be the same as vise grips?

Yes the waters off, but thanks for checking. I've been known to do some bone headed things in my life.:eek:

Is this a PP AVANTE?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pp

Take the handle off, then reinsert the screw part way. THEN grab the stem with the pliers, push in, then YANK outwards quickly. You may have to do it several times but it will come out. Pulling on the handle is NOT the same.

Phil Clemence

Reaction score
Anyone know of a universal 'slide-hammer' style cartridge removing tool?
If not, maybe i can make a million bucks :D

Right now i am developing a cartrige removal "Handy Kit":

Large vise grips
Large hammer
Larger hammer
band-aids
duct tape (for plumber's mouth to prevent cussing)

a nice selection of new valves
more duct tape (for customer's mouth)

hmm....
what else should be included?

TexasUltra

Reaction score
OK, I need the duct tape!:eek:

Great tip on putting the screw back in before pulling. I added a little rigidity to the pipe by placing my knee on the diverter spout before pulling.

BINGO!
Wait a minute...O c*@#...part of its still in there.
Picture shows old (white) and new with piece missing.
HELP NEEDED!!!

Attachments

• ShowerMixingVlv.jpg
    ShowerMixingVlv.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6,669

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

Phil lloyd, at least your removal kit doesn't have any new items to take up space in the tool box, but your universal puller with all the adapters which would be needed would require finding a spot to put them. Some place where you would remember where it was when you actually needed it once every few years or so.

Do you have a flashlight and a screwdriver. If the piece is still in there, and not on the bottom of the bathtub, all you have to do is pull it out. It is just a piece of rubber, and possibly a chip of plastic.

Last edited:

TexasUltra

Reaction score
Less than two years later the valve is leaking again. It's not dripping in the off position, instead it is leaking water from the handle stem and blowing it back towards the wall when it is on.
Will a new cartridge solve this or is the valve body shot? House is almost 30 years old.

I answered my own question when I removed it. The small end was broken off and remained in the valve body. I was able to modify a small screwdriver and pulled the remainder out.
My question for the real plumbers is why was it broken? Did I over tighten it on install? Is there some formula for proper install?

Thanks in advance for your input. I still have another one to do.

Attachments

• BrokenAVANTE.jpg
    BrokenAVANTE.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5,581
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It was broken because Price Pfister had a bad batch of stems. All the new ones are good ones, but one plumber had to go through about 10 of the old ones before he found one which did not come apart. I had several which did it, but now have the new ones. Call 1-800-PFAUCET and PP will send you a new Avante stem. Then you can put the one you bought, or the new one, back into its package and return it.

Last edited:

bradens

Reaction score
Avante Valve - Upgrading the trim?

Decided to tag on to this post since there are some experts on this particular model from Price Pfister...

I have ordered the following trim to replace my outdated brass avante trim from home depot online:
Price Pfister - R897CBK

http://www.************.com/price-pfister-r89-7cbk-single-handle-shower-only-trim-with-rain-shower-showerhead-from-the-avalon-series/p189079

I am not certain what kind of valve I have, but I assume I have an 0x9 series valve which should work with this new trim.

My existing valve looks like this: CIMG0383.jpg

Do i need to make any other special preparations to attach the new trim to the old valve? I replaced the cartridge about a year ago, so the valve works great. I want to avoid roughing in a new valve at all costs).

Thanks!

Braden

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The opening in the wall will be larger than the new round trim ring will cover.
2. The new ring will NOT be secured with screws like the present one is.
3. If you can replace the valve body with a new one using the available opening, then I have used "backup" trim rings from other manufacturers to cover the oversized hole in the wall.

Price Pfister

Pfister Faucets
Reaction score
Website
www.pfisterfaucets.com
Hello hj,

Thank you for responding to the above issue from the OP. It's great that this forum has such terrific members.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

Price Pfister

Pfister Faucets
Reaction score
Website
www.pfisterfaucets.com
Hello Braden,

Thanks for posting your question here. We would like to help address this issue quickly, but our Consumer Service Team needs some additional information to proceed.

Please provide:

* The model number of the product. If you do not know this, please follow these directions: http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/do_it_yourself/how_to.aspx
* Any other specifics on the issue you’re experiencing
* A method to contact you (ex. email, phone, etc.)
* Best time for contact (ex. mornings, evenings, etc.)

Please send this information to us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to resolving this matter as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

Last edited by a moderator:

ak99588

Reaction score
Having Trouble Removing Valve

Hello. I'm hopping on this thread because I have the same valve and I'm having trouble getting the cartridge out. The photo shows my tub valve. I reinserted the handle screw and using a vise-grip tried pulling, yanking, twisting, and wiggling but it will not budge. Any suggestions from seasoned veterans?
Thanks!
Faucet 1.jpg

TexasUltra

Reaction score
shower valve.jpgOK, it's me again.
Same faucet, only this time the stem broke off and remained in the knob. Any advice on removing the cartridge remaining in the valve body without the stem?
How do I find a quality replacement cartridge?

Are the two slotted screws on either side of the valve body for shutting off the water?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
INsert a screw into the remaining stem and THEN perform the previously stated extraction method, i.e., grab screw with pliers, push stem in, the pull out VIOLENTLY, maybe several times. Those are shut off valves.

TexasUltra

Reaction score
mission accomplished, the only glitch was the (LASCO) stem was hollow, a little smaller than a 5/16 bolt. I ran a 5/16 tap in it and gave the t-handle a tug and bam! old cartridge out. Replaced with PHISTER from MORRISON SUPPLY this time. This is probably one of those get what you pay for lessons I have such a hard time learning.
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks