Need to replace pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
In the continuing saga of my bad luck, after replacing my compressor/motor with pulley wheels that brings the water up into the cistern and the jet pump that pumps the water out of the cistern and to the house (had to replace that twice because I got a piece of garbage Countryline pump that died in two months-- cracked a rod in the piston), the pressure switch on the pump kept flashing and shutting off and it turns out the pressure tank went bad.

I have a Gould pump-- which I believe ins 1HP but I will have to check the documentation or see if any markings on it indicate that information before I can say for sure.

I'm not sure what exactly the size of my current pressure tank is. I just know that it has been in place for over 10 years (possibly longer since I don't remember ever having it replaced but I didn't pay too much attention to such things before it became my responsibility to call for repairs and make sure things got done).

Here is a photograph of my pump house. You can see the existing blue pressure tank to the left of the ugly green cistern. I don't know what size that is and don't know if there are markings to indicate, but I'll have to go look.
tumblr_mkbv54UIAV1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

In the lower left you can see the metal pipe coming out of the compressor and going in to the ground. The wires to the float lever attach to the compressor (I think its called a compressor-- its two parts-- a motor and compressor and it has two pulley wheels).
tumblr_mkbv9oKyrI1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

Here is my Gould jet pump (I think it is 1HP)
tumblr_mkbvfirIDI1qkwd9ao2_500.jpg

Now, the pump & well guy that comes out is the only guy who was willing to come out. I tried calling others and all of them refused and said where I live is "too far". The only other guy is now in his 80s and has developed Alzheimers so he became unreliable. He forgets to answer the phone, return calls, or show up for jobs. I was stuck without water for 3 weeks while trying to get him to come out before I found the current guy. The current guy will come out at the drop of a hat and even on christmas and other holidays. He'll show up at 8pm if need be just to make sure the water is running and he doesn't charge me for every visit if he didn't resolve the problem on the first visit. So he'll come out and then leave for parts-- which does sometimes take a couple of days because of problems with part availability and he never tries to charge me extra.

Unfortunately it seems his knowledge is not up-to-date and he has a family crisis going on right now (last I spoke with him, his father was in critical condition). He wasn't aware of alternatives to the type of float lever I have (someone recommended a solonoid valve- is it solonoid or solenoid?).
He wants to replace my current pressure tank with a fiberglass one and I'm not sure that would be better. I'd be afraid it would rupture and I've had other people say it isn't good.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what to get because the current tank was only fixed temporarily and I don't know when the guy is coming back or if he was able to get the fiberglass tank already.

I saw something about CSVs (Cycle Stop Valves) and was wondering how those work and if that would be better than just getting a new tank. The local Tractor Supply only carries countryline brand and I am never going with that one again after that jet pump problem.

Someone recommended Zilmet, Flexcon and Well X Trol brands; but I didn't see any place that sells those.

Is a CSV less expensive? If it would be more efficient and cost effective, where would I find one and what parts would I need to install it or have it installed?

Is the CSV in lieu of a tank or in conjunction with one?

I need to decide what I'm going to get rather quickly because the well guy indicated he would be back either today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Suceress

Reaction score
Last edited:

Suceress

Reaction score
The 6 minute one is more of a how to video. You might also like to play with this graphic.

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/simple/home.php

Yeah, that was fun. :) The little smiley face and stressed smiley were funny.

Turns out my pump guy's father is doing better and he got the tank in today. It's fiberglass-- called Flex-lite. He said he didn't think I needed a CSV for this setup. I was hoping to make sure I was getting a good quality tank, but I started finding out more information a bit too late and the old one was really stressing the pump.

The pump would come on for two seconds, then cut off, then on, then off, then it would rapidly click about 5 times in a row within a second and either shut off or run for two more seconds. It seems to be running smoothly with the new tank thus far.

I still like to keep the information in mind should I need to replace this one in the future. With my luck it might not be too distant, but I hope it is.

Thanks for the info!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most of the problems with pump systems are caused by cycling the pump on and off. If you don't stop the cycling, you will keep having problems. Rapid cycling will rapidly take out a pump. "Normal" cycling will take out a pump in a normal amount of time. Stop the cycling and the pump and tank will last longer than normal.

Suceress

Reaction score
Most of the problems with pump systems are caused by cycling the pump on and off. If you don't stop the cycling, you will keep having problems. Rapid cycling will rapidly take out a pump. "Normal" cycling will take out a pump in a normal amount of time. Stop the cycling and the pump and tank will last longer than normal.

Ah. Ok. That's what I thought, but the pump guy really didn't seem too keen on it. I'm hoping this setup will last a long time. If not, I will insist on getting the CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks