Noob question... Shower drain trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

pkerr

Reaction score
I know very little about plumbing but from what I have read, our second story shower has a drain trap and the pipe should always have water in it?

I ask this because when I take off the cover for the drain I see water in the pipe about 6 inches below the shower "floor". That is they way it's supposed to work? Water is always in that pipe? It never completely drains out?

Thanks!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Water is supposed to always be in the trap, not the horizontal pipe. The water forms a trap seal to keep gasses out.

Basically like this: http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/McGrawHill/atchitecture/f1012-03.png

f1012-03.png

Last edited by a moderator:

pkerr

Reaction score
It's just the vertical part of the pipe.

There's "gunk" on the inside of the pipe above the water. Does that need to be washed or cleaned off?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Traps come in various materials. Some are pretty chrome pipes that are exposed for all to view, some can be removed by unscrewing parts, some are PVC or ABS plastic that are solvent welded together. Some, like a basement shower, are buried forever. Even your toilet has one built in. But, they all work exactly the same way to form a water seal to prevent sewer gas from entering the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks