Breaker tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

envycycles

Reaction score
Hey whats up guys
Trying to see if I can get some help here. I have read a lot and done some testing but need further help.
So my outside breaker was found tripped, reset it and once the outside unit come on it trips again.

So with the breaker in and no AC requested I checked the contactor in and it shows 240V on the input side.
I took off the run capacitor which its a 40uf and drained it and checked it and it says 36uf between the herm and C and about 5uf between the herm and fan or fan and C.
I took of the start capacitor because it had leaked out but the plug was still in. Took the bleeding resistor off and checked it was getting some crazy numbers 39.97n. I ordered a new one and when it came in I checked it and it showed 155.5uf so I know this one is good. I soldered the same 15ohm resistor to it and then installed and reset the breaker and still the same thing happened. Breaker trips.

Today I disconnected the leads that come from the compressor to the contactor and the capacitor and activated the contactor and the fan started with no issues and no breaker trip.

I have not noticed any humming sound from the compressor.

Read that to check the compressor I have to remove the leads from the comp and check them to ground and if it beeps then the compressor is shot. My question on this is can I check the leads coming from the comp to the contactor instead of removing the whole top cover and fan?

Also any way to check the start relay and also the contactor?

Im pretty handy as Im a Aircraft tech so Im willing to check what ever needs to be checked to avoid having to pay. If the compressor needs to be replaced then I will call a Pro.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you have a 15 ohm bleeder resistor, then that sounds wrong.

Your description of 155.5uf has me a bit confused, if it should be a 40uf cap. I may have misunderstood.

Does the Breaker trip, just as soon as it starts or tries to run, or is there a delay before it trips ?

You should have no continuity from the compressor frame to the start and run windings, when the compressor is disconnected.

What Model are you working with ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

envycycles

Reaction score
The resistor is a 15K Ohms
The start capacitor is a 135-155uf and the dual cap is a 40uf.
The breaker trips when i turn on the thermostat and request a/c.
Its a Trane XE1200 unit(TWP036C100A3), looking at my papers the comp should be a Climatuff 200/230/1/60 L.R AMPS 15.2-91

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It would be good to use a Amp Probe to locate the problem.

Look at the Compressor heater current, and motor winding currents.

I did not see a manual online for that unit, but it should be fairly easy to troubleshoot.

Don't rule out that it may have a problem in the controller, If for some reason it is trying to turn on Heating Elements and the Compressor at the same time. That can trip a breaker.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks