Sry for all the questions..heres another..

Users who are viewing this thread

pastfast125

Reaction score
In a basement apartment setup, on the perimeter walls which are concrete, can you just drywall directly over them, or would it be best to make a wall and insulate it? Thanks. Also if I were to directly drywall onto the cement walls how do you do that? Construction adhevsive? masonry screws? thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Framing the walls is best. Straping can be done but I don't recomend it. I wouldn't fasten directly to masonary. If you drywall directly over the walls you wouldn't have any electrical outlets.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
To drywall over the concrete you put furring (or is it firring?) strips up, usually every 24". The furring is usually made with 1x1 strips. This gives you a 3/4" cavity to put insullation up then you nail the drywall to the strips. This also gives you a place to hide pipe and electrical wires.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
furring

Have you ever seen a 1x1? There is no way you would use them. In the first place they would split everytime you put a nail, or screw, through them, and trying to hit them with drywall screws or nails would be impossible, if for no other reason than that few of them are straight. 1x2's, 1x4's, or preferably 2x2 or 2x3 would be better for the furring.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
the best way i'm a gen contr.

frame in new walls with metal studs.hold top and bottom plates 3/4" away from concrete. i'm guessing you might need help from a carpenter,but you may be able to assist . h.j is right a ram set gun would blow apart a 1" x1"

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
hj said:
Have you ever seen a 1x1? There is no way you would use them. In the first place they would split everytime you put a nail, or screw, through them, and trying to hit them with drywall screws or nails would be impossible, if for no other reason than that few of them are straight. 1x2's, 1x4's, or preferably 2x2 or 2x3 would be better for the furring.

Maybe they were 1x2's then, I'm not sure what the framers are nailing them with but as described is common practice in this area. The only time a full wall is framed within a block or concrete wall (here) is in the event chase space is needed.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
there's more to this! where do you live?

when i built back east[ cape cod mass.] we had full basements, lots of moisture in the summer months. it was not unusual to have some water seepage coming through the masonary. the system i described above was the best fix for that condition. i now live in ca.we don't generally have basements. they're great, i miss having one!

pastfast125

Reaction score
I didn't think about electrical outlets, so what cass said of framing new walls would make the most sence to me. This basement doesn't get any water in it.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it was mine I would also insulate and vapor barrier.

Paul

pastfast125

Reaction score
Any idea on how much vapor barrier costs? Cuz as far as I know I'm supposed to use it if I do hardwood floors anwyhere down there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks