Irrigation pump short cycling overheating...GGRGGR

Users who are viewing this thread

tombong

Reaction score
He y all.

I had a problem with my 1HP irrigation pump. I am drawing water from a pond. I recently replaced three valves and no leaks. I also recently replaced the impeller.

Seems the pump is cycling with no valves on. I did have a leaky valve which caused me to replace all three and move them above ground for future maintenance ease.

I bought a new switch yesterday and installed it. The system will only run if I remove the pressure hose from the switch and allow HP to escape. Or if I screw the spring so low the plate cannot rise. When the screw is higher the plate rises and shuts the pump off then gows down and turns it on....Even when there are no valves open.

I did let the air out of the tank and it filled with water. I then drained the pump and tank, Still the motor runs with no valves open.

Could the problem be the air tank? I did hook up a compressor to it. Still no help.

The only way I can irrigate is to clamp the plate down on the switch causing the relay to provide power to the pump. It will not stay down. Yet there is a lot of pressure being applied to the new diaphragm. I cannot find a happy medium with the adjustment screw either. too high and the pump cycles when delivering water. Too low and it cycles when no valves are on.....

What am I missing?

Thanks

thuston

Reaction score
Is it possible that you still have a leak in the system? If that is a possibility, maybe you could put a pressure gauge in the "after pump" system and monitor the pressure. Sorry, beyond that and I am stumped:eek:.

Cheers,
Terry

tombong

Reaction score
Probably the check valve on the pump is leaking back.

I did not see a "check Valve" on the pump. The impeller pumps water directly out to the three pipes. With all valves off the pressure has to be going somewhere in order for the pump to keep running....I have no idea where its going there are no leaks and the RainBird valves cannot be that hearty to hold that pressure.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What make/model pump is it? How many gallons per minute do the sprinklers use?

If we have some idea what you are using we may be able to offer some suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks