Wax ring installation process

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I had to pull the toilet in order to complete the installation of ceramic tile on the bathroom floor. I installed a spacer over the steel flange to ensure the flange sits on top of the new floor's surface. Now I am ready to reinstall the toilet. My question is this: Do I attach the new wax ring to the bottom of the toilet, then set the toilet over the floor flange? Or do set the wax ring over the floor flange first, then set the toilet over the ring?

The reason I am confused is that just prior to doing this I pulled up some You Tube videos just to make sure I am following the right sequences with everything, but half the videos show the installer putting the ring on the bottom of the toilet first, the other half show installers aligning the ring on the closet flange first.

I come here seeking professional guidance. Which is accepted practice among professional plumbers? Thanks. BTW, the ring I purchased is "extra thick" with a rubber flange or lip attached.

Gary

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of those videos on youtube are done by homeowners.

Plumbers put the wax on the closet flange, and set the bowl down on that.

Unless you goo'ed the spacer with Silicon top and bottom and let it dry, you're asking for trouble. The water will find a way past the spacer.

It's far safer to go with a extra thick ring, or to stack two rings on the closet flange.

two_wax_rings_wood.jpg

Last edited:

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Yes, yesterday I applied silicone to the spacer everywhere, even around the perimeter where it contacts the steel flange. Will check one last time for any gaps before putting the toilet back. Thanks for the wax ring advice, I will place it on the flange first, then place the toilet accordingly.

Gary
Houston, TX

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks