Differences between 3 Toto

Users who are viewing this thread

Miss Lucy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a rounded bowl, 1 or 2 piece (doesn't matter), higher height (ADA?). It has to go in a teeny tiny powder room and not much space between the toilet and the wall in front of the bowl. I do not know the differences between the following and was wondering if you could tell me.

Ultramax s854114sl vs. ms854114el. Also, I was reading your forum about the Drake II CST454CEFG .

So the big question is, what's the differences and if the ADA is always elongated, do they make an enlongated shorter than most?

Thanks a million for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto has the high round bowl Promenade, CST423 in the E or S tanks and the E and EG bowls.
Also the Dalton CST733F
Both of these are about 26.5" long.

The tall Ultramax and Ultramax II, Drake II bowls are elongated, which adds 1.5" to the lenght.
Front to back about 28" which is fairly compact.

Last edited:

Miss Lucy

Reaction score
Terry,

More confused now! I don't know what the E and the S tank means nor do I know the difference in the E and the EG bowls. And you're adding in 2 new series, Promonade and Dalton!

Terry, HELP! PLEASE tell me which is the better tank and bowl, the E or the S and the E or the EG.
And, with the Ultramaxx and Drake II, are they smaller than the standard elongated toilet of other manufacturers?

And most importantly, tell me what to buy!! Ultramax el, Ultramax sl, Drake II, Promonade or Dalton.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looking over some spec sheets.... the dimension of elongagated toilets is typically 29" to 31"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the Toto toilets are much better than average. Some of your choice is to decide what style you want. Then find one that will fit in your space. CEFIONTECT, if available, is a good option as it helps keep the bowl cleaner (it's smoother, and stuff doesn't stick as much). The move is towards saving even more water, and the eco version of the toilet, if available, works quite well.

Miss Lucy

Reaction score
May I ask one more question? I like the look of the Promenade by my husband doesn't. He wants the Drake. So the question is can I get the Drake I (CST744SL) with the sanigloss? And if not, will it make a lot of difference?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The original ADA Drake, the CST744SL does not come with CEFIONTECT

The Drake II, CST454CEFG does have CEFIONTECT in the whites.

It depends on the water as to how much it will help.
I have been selling the CEFIONTECT CST454CEFG a bunch though.

The letter "G" means the bowl has CEFIONTECT. Wiithout the G, no CEFIONTECT.

Miss Lucy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. Am I correct in that the Drake II CST454CEFG is the 1.28 and not the 1.6? I think I want the 1.28 which is better right?
So I either get the sanigloss or the 1.6 but not both?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 744 bowl and the 454 bowl are very different.
The 744EL bowl gets a 900 gram rating, and the 454EG bowl gets a 800 gram rating.
Any thing over 500 is very good, if not overkill.
The 744EL bowl can take either the S tank at 1.6 gallons or the E tank at 1.28 gallons.
The 454EG bowl only takes an E tank.

I would go with the 454EG bowl.

Miss Lucy

Reaction score
Terry,

I messed up in my last post. What I meant to say was we want the 1.6 NOT the 1.28.

So what we want is:

2 piece, 1.6, G-max, round seat if possible, if not shortest elongated, ADA height

So am I talking about the Drake CST744sl? If I am, I think that can be ordered with a rounded seat, is that correct?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think Terry has shared his wealth of knowledge on the subject here, and it seems you have now arrived at your " perfect" toilet.

I might suggest that for SOME consumers, we may be overthinking this issue. Tens of thousands of toilets are installed every month. Most of them work just fine, night and day, fulfilling their intended purpose. The experts here on the forum...especially Terry on the Toto line, always share a wealth of knowledge you could NOT find ANYWHERE else! It is sort of like cell phones.....when I am in the market for a new one, I go online, in about 5 minutes find one that looks good for under $29, click, away we go. I also know people who trade in their i-whatever about every 6 months to make sure they have the latest bells and whistles!

Back to the toilet....I have a 19 year old Mansfield Quantum pressure assist. I would not trade it for any of todays 1.28 models. If it became necessary to replace it, I would probably get a pressure assist dual flush, maybe even another Mansfield! There is no "perfect toilet" ( some of the best flushers have bowl wash problems, for example). Like any consumer, I consider ALL factors including $$$$ and availabity in making these decisions. Then I live with it! I am not in love with my new LG phone ( $14.95) but it works, and I will keep it until it croaks. Then I will go back to a Nokia or Motorola.

purplerascal

Reaction score
Jimbo, thanks for the burst of sanity - that was like a powerful cleansing flush ;-) Like MissLucy, I've been going round in circles trying to make sense of which toilet to buy. There are so many options -- too many! -- and the wealth of information on these boards both helps narrow down the choice, and raises the stakes. I guess we're all haunted by the spectre of the perfect toilet - and the fear that it will be the one that got away.

But in the end, even if we accidentally pick the second or third best toilet, it will do the trick. Frankly, some toilet is better than no toilet, right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jimbo,
You may want to reconsider picking up a pressure assist dual flush.
They are not made by Flushmate, but by a Chinese company called WDI Technology.
40% of the tanks came back in the first six months I was selling them.
The WDI EcoFlush is used in the Gerber, Mansfield and American Standard.

wdi_ecoflush_1.jpg

WDI Technology EcoFlush

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...ecommended-toilet-Gerber-DF-21-318-a-big-Flop!

On the other hand, the 1.1 and the 1.6 Flushmate have been holding up much better.

The Toto 744 bowl is elongated as is the 454 bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks