Name that Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

quaker_emu

Reaction score
Does anybody here recognize this valve? If so a model name or number would be much appreciated!

3484663311_268ecdbc71_o.jpg

3484663387_b8725ce67d_o.jpg

3484663395_da7739b39f_o.jpg

3484663403_841e0d8e9f_o.jpg

The cover plate says American Standard at the bottom. It is in a building that was built circa 1964 and may be original. The only lettering I can find on the valve body itself are the words "shower" and "tub" on the respective fittings.

It is leaking out the valve stem when turned on. Since the only access to the valve is through the tub tile-work I would very much prefer to find replacement parts rather than replacing the entire valve.

quaker_emu

Reaction score
It probably was A/S, just long discontinued or something. I have looked all over and not seen anything similar. Given how their site is organized is is also possible I missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

American Standard "Pull and turn". There is a replacement mechanism that bolts to the body and replaces that "Mickey Mouse" assembly. I do not remember off hand who makes it, but might be able to track it down.

quaker_emu

Reaction score
American Standard "Pull and turn". There is a replacement mechanism that bolts to the body and replaces that "Mickey Mouse" assembly. I do not remember off hand who makes it, but might be able to track it down.

Thanks hj!!!

If it is not too much trouble to track down the "Mickey Mouse" replacement I would appreciate it - especially if it would allow one to use a "normal" cartridge assembly without replacing the valve body. In the meantime I'll call A/S 800 number and see if I can get anywhere with them.

Last edited:

quaker_emu

Reaction score
The woman on the A/S 800 number referred to plumbingpartsdepot.com which in turn has an exploded view diagram of the valve

http://plumbingpartsdepot.com/aspushpullshwr.pdf

[p 1 is the exploded view of this valve and p 2 is a parts list.]

It looks like that nut on the end of the stem that looks like a packing nut may in fact be a packing nut. Nothing is ever as simple as it should be but that is a very promising development :D.

Last edited:

quaker_emu

Reaction score
I turned off the shutoff valves shown above, removed the packing nut and found ... no packing! The back of the packing nut had a groove for an O-Ring so I found an appropriate sized one (#83), put it back together and turned on the water. No more leak around the stem!!! Woohoo!

While it is annoying that somebody previously put the valve back together without the packing O-Ring, this fix was a lot better alternative than shutting off water to an entire high-rise, making a mess out of the tile and spending half a day soldering through a little hole in the wall.

Thanks so much for your help.

quaker_emu

Reaction score
Had we known that we would have discouraged any work and suggested you get the owners involved.

Why would you do that? The HOA is aware of the issues and has been since day 1.

Are you the maintenance dude¿

I am the one and only all powerful Quaker Emu!!! Unpacked valves the world over fear my #83 O-Rings. : maniacal laugh :

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks