Fernco Donut

Users who are viewing this thread

Raeiken

Reaction score
I need to connect some PVC to castiron. The castiron is 4" and the hubs were sealed with a rubber gasket. After pulling out the existing CI and the rubber seal, I used a Fernco PlumbQwik connector to put in 4" PVC. The connection seemed tight, although it could have been tighter. I decided to change to 3" PVC ( it is going down to 2" for a shower drain ). I got a PlumbQuick 4" to 3" donut. I put it over the 3" PVC ( very tight ), then I went to put it into the castiron Hub and it is totally loose, just slips right in and out.

Is my castiron non standard? Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Ron

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
donut

The only secure donuts would go into the hub and then the pipe slides into them. If it goes into the hub after being pushed onto the pipe, it is not making contact with some areas of the hub, and that would be why it is loose.

Raeiken

Reaction score
Way Off

The directions on the Fernco say to insert the plastic through the donut and then lubricate and insert into the hub.

Either way this is way too small. It isn't just a little loose, it can be put in and out without touching the sides of the hub. The 4" donut and castiron work but not the 4" to 3".

I even went and got another one to make sure it wasn't a defect.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ron

Raeiken

Reaction score
I think I know why it's way off

After reading through some other posts, I looked at the cast iron and it is stamped XH, so it looks like it requires a different donut. I'll look and see if I can get one.

Thanks,
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks