Using air to flush pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

perks

Reaction score
Hello:
I want to add two additional sillcocks to my house to help with watering my garden beds. Both of these would be on opposing sides of an attached unheated garage. So, I was going to tap into the current copper pipe that leads to a spigot in the garage and run cvpc pipe to opposite sides of the garage and drill through the wall and attach sillcocks.

But since everything will be unheated in this area I need to flush this section of pipe in the winter. I saw in a plumbing book a recommendation to add a valve(?) that would allow compressed air to be attached and blow out the water. I can't find anything that resembles the recommendation. So, my question is how do you use compressed air to blow out the water in a section of piping. What kind of fixture would I use?
Bob

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Not your answer, but a note. If the faucet in the garage is freeze proof, and your pipe bypasses it through the wall there could be problems. If the existing copper pipe runs inside the unconditioned space already, it would not seem to be a problem.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Why not just run the pipe up on the ceiling and fit a valve with a bleed screw lower down? That way you can drain water at one end from the faucets and at the other from the bleed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be about the same as winterizing a lawn sprinkler system. I made and adapter to blow my daughter's yard line. I got a PVC fitting that has male hose threads on one side and male pipe threads on the other. These are 3/4". Next I got a galvanized bushing to reduce the 3/4" to 3/8" female and to that I connected a quick connect air fitting. Connect the adapter to a faucet on one end of the line, open another faucet on the other, open any frost freeze bibs (not sure if this is really necessary, but it won't hurt to be sure, then apply air. Cheap, quick, and easy.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I made my adapter from a collection of parts at home depot. Just hook up the compressor, let the pipe get to 50 psi, open the valve on the other end... repeat.

Looks like this (still attached to a sillcock, from last fall when I winterized the house(oops)):

Attachments

• IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 521

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure that the 1/4" I.D. of that air coupler will move a huge volume of air and blow out any water in the pipes. LOL

I make a lot of money on poorly done winterizations.
This month the vacation cottages start opening up!:D

I'd recommend pitching the line to drain dry, and running it in the ever so freeze forgiving PEX tubing.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Been using the same setup as Frenchie for 25 years, on houses and irrigation lines, never a problem.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Frenchie's adapter is identical to mine except I have used PVC hose-to-pipe connector. As far as the air supply size, I blow my sprinkler system with the same size air intake and hose. Other than being a bit slow compared to industrial compressors and hoses, it work just fine.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks