connecting outdoor sink to sewer

Users who are viewing this thread

marlachat

Reaction score
We are building an outdoor kitchen island (freestanding) and hooking a sink up to our existing sewer. We have been told we need to "direct vent" it. Even our city inspector seemed stumped as to how to do this. Anyone out there done this before?

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Direct vent means just that, vent to the atmosphere, now on an outside island my code tells me vent must terminate 10' above the ground, and shall be securely supported, that mean a pole or post to secure the pipe to.

Section 906.4 of the UPC Plumbing code.

Last edited:

marlachat

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Where does the vent have to be located? Can it be anywhere along the sewer line? We are attaching our drain to an existing sewer line at the sewer cleanout located against an outside wall of our house using a "combi". Can we vent there and secure the vent 10' up the wall?

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Code dictates where the vent can be, ask your plumbing inspector, it has to be within a certain distance from the trap, here 1-1/2" would be 3'6" from trap, 2" can be 5' from the trap.

It has to do with what code you use where your at.

There is also what they call an island loop vent, the loop vent will allow you to have a vent pipe far from the island sink, ask your inspector if you are allowed this type of vent, if so then ask how he wants it plumbed in. There are strict guidelines on how a loop vent is plumbed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks