Can't find the leak source

Users who are viewing this thread

Rzrbkr67

Reaction score
I have a real puzzler - my cast iron bathtub (36 years old) has a small leak that I can not find the source of. I have access to the bottom of the tub around the drain and can see up to the spout/shower riser area. There is a small amount of water leaking through the tub bottom approx. 3.5 in to the side of the drain. I have verified that the water is not running from another point and accumulating at this spot. I have also verified that there is no visible crack or hole in the porcelain of the tub at that spot (or another other spot for that matter). The leak only shows up when someone is showering - any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

You are misdiagnosing it. The leak is somewhere above the bottom of the tub and is then running to the spot you see. It could be anywhere in the tile or at the tub's overflow gasket. A plumber with a Ridgid SeeSnake might be able to pinpoint the location.

Rzrbkr67

Reaction score
No, I have isolated the spot so that nothing could "run down" onto it, with a plumbers putty "dam". The water is coming through the cast iron.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Cast iron can be porous or have voids. You have to find out where the break in the interior coating is. Or it could be under the tailpiece as I've suggested earlier.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cast iron can be porous or have voids. You have to find out where the break in the interior coating is. Or it could be under the tailpiece as I've suggested earlier.

But when it is covered with enamel it is impervious.
There would be a visible defect in the enamel...

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
No, through a break in the interior coating as I suggested.
lol.gif

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hard stretch to run over 3 1/2 " from your leaking drain...
I agree with HJ the source is mis diagnosed.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I guess the poster will just have to decide where it is...
And who they should believe....

The Plumber
plumbersprotectthehealthofournation.jpg

Or,

The Engineer
nerd1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Let's hope that he understands that "enamel" is specific term for "interior coating", and that he doesn't take offense at someone who attempts to denigrate an entire group of people, and does so before the forum moderator has to remove yet another thread that you have derailed. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks