Extruded Polystyrene Insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

ctkeebler

Reaction score
In previous posts the advice I was given was to use Extruded Polystyrene Insulation in my basement walls.

I see at the big orange box store they have 3/4 -2x8 FOAMULAR Extruded Polystyrene Insulation with an r value 0f 3.8. Can I double this up to give me more insulation and r value or or is there no extra value in place two sheets between the wall studs?

They also have 1 1/2 FOAMULAT INSULPINK extruded polystyrene on sale, but Im not sure what the difference is between the two products and if this is exactly what products were that you guys advised me to get.

Thanks

Tom

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Generally R-values are additive; I would expect the 1 1/2" stuff to have an R value of about 7.6. I'd prefer the 1 1/2" myself if I had that much space to fill, to eliminate cutting and pasting. An important consideration in installing this stuff is to be sure there are no gaps around the edges (next to the studs, etc.) which would allow air to leak around the insulation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you go to a full-service lumberyard, you can probably find foam in any thickness you wish. Pick the one that give you the insulation factor you want or need. You may find that paying someone to foam-in-place comes out about the same price, and then you'd not have any gaps at the edges, around outlet boxes, or pipes.

ctkeebler

Reaction score
Today I got a email from Ownes Corning that stated they recommend that I do not use polystyrene in a below ground application, but did not specify why. I sent a reply back for more information, but have not heard back yet.

BigLou

Reaction score
Today I got a email from Ownes Corning that stated they recommend that I do not use polystyrene in a below ground application, but did not specify why. I sent a reply back for more information, but have not heard back yet.

are you sure they are not refering to outside below grade ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks