Basement Rough-In... HUH?

Users who are viewing this thread

jcameronk

Reaction score
So, I'm about to embark on a basement finishing project. Part of the project will be a full bathroom in the basement. I'm not 100% sure if i want to do a tub or shower, either way I have a bunch of questions on my rough in! Here's a pic:

20130417_190647_resized.jpg

Sorry for all the clutter.

So, in the back by the sump pump there's a floor drain, on the wall next to that there's a pipe that goes from floor to ceiling w/ a t coming off. I'm guessing that this is the drain for the sink? Next there's a smaller pipe coming out of the middle of the floor that's about 8" tall. I'm guessing this is the shower drain? Then the toilet flange next to it (pretty sure i got that one right). And another 14" high pipe coming out of the floor next to the wall. I'm guessing this is the toilet vent? There's also a pipe capped coming from the ceiling above that one.

So are any of my assessments correct? If so, the toilet flange and shower drain are VERY close to each other! How the heck is that going to work?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From the picture and your description, your assessment SEEMS correct. As for the "shower and toilet", I don't know what the installer had in mind, because the don't usually put the shower between the toilet and sink.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the rough is for a 1/2 bath and there is no shower drain at all. The 1-1/2 is probably the lav drain and the 2" is the toilet vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Laundry tray maybe. He would have to see if there's a trap on the pipe coming through the floor to know for sure.

jcameronk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I dug through the notebook that came w/ the house from the original owners and it said that basement had a rough in for a 3-piece, so i'm guessing shower, toilet, sink?

So, I should check and see if there's a trap on the one coming out of the middle of the floor, if so, it's a shower drain...

Even if it is, is there any way that this layout would work without breaking into the concrete?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; is there any way that this layout would work without breaking into the concrete?

Anything is possible, but you would have to draw the layout and adjust the walls to fit it. On the surface, it just seems like a "dumb" layout if that is really a shower drain. (it would also be a "dumb" layout if it were a sink that close to the toilet.) If it is not the shower drain, and it should be a full bath, then there is a trap buried under the concrete somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks