Removing Sweated Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

bipbipchick

Reaction score
my fiance and i are trying to change out the shower handle. we could not for anything get the nuts to unscrew so we could take out the old manifold and put in the new one. we are now pretty sure the the pipes have been sweated in to the old shower set handle. my question is, does anyone know what to do to get the old one out and still make the pipes usable for the new hardware? we are worried about sawing into the old stuff (which i think the home depot guy told us to do) and ruining it so the new ones cant screw in. HELP!?!?!

thanks!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Post a picture. It is not unusual to have to cut out some in order to put in a new valve. Hard to tell without seeing it, though.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut the pipe a few inches away from the shower connection. Then get a coupling to put the pipe back together.

If you can get all of the water out, you could probably unsolder it at the valve. However, I prefer cutting to help get it back together.

If you solder 6 to 10 inches of pipe to the adapter fittings before you screw them into the control valve, it is easier to make the joint and you avoid risk of damaging the valve. If you have already cut the pipe. you have the place for the connection away from the valve.

A tubing cutter is better than a hacksaw because it keeps the pipe round and smooth.

Get a pretinning flux such as Oatey No. 95 to make your job easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks