Cost to remove sprinkler system?

Users who are viewing this thread

lallymommy

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what the ballpark cost would be to remove a sprinkler system. I have a 7 zone system, each with 3 heads. My property (including the house) is about 0.30 of an acre.

I think having the sprinkler system is more of a constant headache for me than a benefit.

Also, would removing the system also include remove all of the piping - or would that be left underground? Would that be an issue for new ownership if it stayed underground?

Thanks!!

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
There's no reason the sprinkler system can't be shut off, cleared of water (winterized) and left off from this time forward.

No need to remove anything.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cost to remove the pipes depends on what is involved and the time it would take to do: digging, back filling and disposing. Call local gardeners and handymen for estimates.
OR, you can simply cut the system off, remove the heads and let the pipes stay underground.

Around here, every home has a sprinkler system. Old PVC pipes are removed and re-used, because it makes sense economically.

lallymommy

Reaction score
Thank you for the information! Okay - we will winterize and leave it turned off for the near future. Maybe one year when we are ready to tackle the repairs again, we will open it.

lallymommy

Reaction score
Oh - one more question. There is one control valve box that always gets filled up with groundwater when it rains. And takes a long time to drain (and is close to my neighbor's property). Is it wise to take out the box and leave the valve buried underground?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Just leave it all alone. Underground valve boxes do fill with rainwater at times, but so what. Nothing inside one is damaged by water.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to rethink this whole thing. If you are having problems with the system, it is likely the controller that either is not working right or perhaps you need someone to help you program it. The reason underground automatic systems are so popular is they are so simple. No hoses to drag, not remembering to water, go on vacation if you want and not worry about the lawn getting irrigated. Not knowing what is causing your "headaches", it hard to be more specific, but I think having a professional sprinkler installer stop by for an hour or so might change you mind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks