The Queen Applies For Energy Assistance Aid

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just another good reason why the colonies sent the Brits home.
These Monarchs are just so out of touch with reality....

Queen tried to get UK poverty fund to heat palace

By RAPHAEL G. SATTER, Associated Press Writer ~ LONDON – A government fund intended to provide subsidized heating to low-income Britons got some interest from an unexpected source: Queen Elizabeth II, who wanted help paying the bills at Buckingham Palace.

The official response, according to documents unearthed by The Independent newspaper, was that the handout might prove to be an embarrassment if word got out. The paper quotes an unnamed functionary as gently reminding the royal household that the money was meant for local authorities, housing associations, and the like.

"I also feel a bit uneasy about the probable adverse press coverage if the Palace were given a grant at the expense of say a hospital," the paper quoted the official as saying. "Sorry this doesn't sound more positive."

The newspaper said royal aides were looking for a way to pay the queen's spiraling utility bills, which had risen by 50 percent to more than 1 million pounds ($1.58 million) in 2004. A letter written that year and addressed to Britain's culture department asked whether the queen could get a community energy grant to upgrade the heating systems at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, the monarch's favorite weekend residence.

Officials were receptive to the idea, but eventually decided against it, the paper said Friday, citing documents obtained under Britain's Freedom of Information Act.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman confirmed that royal officials had explored the possibility of getting money under the program, saying it was part of an attempt to reduce both its burden on the taxpayer and improve the palaces' energy efficiency. She claimed the royal household was not initially aware that the money had been earmarked for low-income Britons.

Expensive or not, word that the royal household had toyed with the idea of trying to get money intended for some of the nation's poorest citizens had a medieval ring to it and the drew the ire of Republic, which campaigns for the abolition of the British monarchy.

The group said the story provided "clear evidence of the contempt the palace has for ordinary people in this country."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100924/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_queen_s_bills

Cookie

Reaction score
Geez, she could shut off the heat to a couple of rooms and use some of her hats as kindling, and find a really cool, well, maybe really, hot guy to snuggle with on those cold nights.

* To note: A huge yard sale might help.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm having to jump all over this forum keeping you farmers at bay.

Actually only Sandringham and Balmoral are the private property of the Queen. Windsor, Buck House, Kensington Palace, Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh, St James Palace, Clarence House etc are the property of the State i.e. the people.

The East Coast of America used to belong to us too. We loved it so much, some of us stayed! Traitors!

Asktom

Reaction score
Where is Cromwell when you need him? (You are going to get beat up on this one, Ian).

Cookie

Reaction score
I already changed from my American, Size 6, very small size 6 stilettos to... these!

ding...ding...ding...
snazzy aren't they

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You have unusually small feet for an American lady Cookie.

But back to the fight.

Bring it on....

Try a Queen. You'll enjoy one.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian do they have a program over there like foodstamps?
Maybe the queen could apply for that...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Redwood,

Unlike America we have a comprehensive social security system.

We care for one another.

Taxpayers don't just sit by and watch our neighbors fall in the gutter.

Taxpayers help people without requiring them to go to a church.

It's called "society".

So, yes we do have a scheme like that. But it's a cash payment so she would not be limited to just buying food.

I'm with the 99'ers. You should be too. You greedy bunch.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
We will all do what we always do for the rest of the world here, with or without churches involved Ian. We will send your Queen a care package to help her out in her tight times.

Do you think she will eat Spam?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Send money. Not food.

Why don't you give the poor here money?

Scared they will spend it on booze?

Who cares if the poor spend their entitlements on liqor and cigarettes?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Let me explain.

I thought you could only buy food with food stamps?

In England, we give cash, not stamps.

I'm guessing America gives stamps because someone somewhere is worried that the recipient might buy a beer instead.

I do not see the problem with someone buying a beer with a State handout.

Cookie

Reaction score
Normally, I think food stamps means to buy food...only. There are some people who will not feed their families first, if they want to drink. But, there is a chance I do agree with you on this only because sometimes, a beer, can diffuse a dangerous situation. Sometimes, you just don't know.

With today's job market being what it is, what todays prices are, and many just barely, hanging on to everything, it can create an aggression that normally, those folks or many folks may not otherwise feel. For some, the pressure is too great to handle. For those folks, yes, buy a beer, to relax so, no one gets hurt.

Sometimes, to diffuse an anger in a person, all it takes is a beer, to feel that ole' feeling they once had, it gives a subtle hope for tomorrow. I'll even buy the beer.

I hope this makes sense being that it is complicated to explain.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm more worried that if you insist they can only buy food then they'll just swop food for beer and it will probably cost them more food to get the same amount of beer than if they had just been given cash.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian, they still buy beer. They just have to be a little more creative in how they ue the weffffare card

bout time to end this whole royalty thing. It's 2010 and the queen is little more than an expensive concubine. All the money spend on those inbred royal dufuses could be better spent on doing something about the appaling state of your beer chillers.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
There's a bit of Queen in us all Wally.

A bit of Queen in us all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks