Help needed: small Toto toilet w/ 10" rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Simoneb

Reaction score
Ugh. My husband and I purchased the toto promenade. I love this toilet. It's very narrow (18 3/8 wide at the widest part for the tank), which is perfect because our bathroom is smaller than you could ever imagine. The contractor went to install it yesterday and told me he couldn't because the rough-in size is 12" on this toilet and I need 10". Does anyone know of a small Toto with this size rough-in? I'm trying to find one now... :( Thank you!

cst424ef_main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Simoneb

Reaction score
Also, someone just suggested perhaps I can use some sort of fitting insert to accommodate the size difference. Is this true? If so, how do I find this?

Simoneb

Reaction score
Hey, this is great -- going to mention it to the contractor -- thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Only a small quantity of Toto toilets use the Uni-fit adapter. If it does, it comes with the standard 12" version, and 10, or 14" versions can be purchased. The adapter essentially contains the trap. On the Promenade, you can clearly see the trap cast into the porcelain. All Toto's that can use this are skirted models like the Carlyle, Vespin (I have one of each), and several other models. Not all skirted models use the Uni-fit, either (the Aquia is skirted, but uses it's own design). This adapter ONLY works on Toto toilets designed for it.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Promenade will not work with the Unifit adapter.

The CST774S Carrollton would.

abak_carrollton.jpg

CST774S TOTO Carrollton

Last edited:

faucetman886

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
TOTO 10" rough in

I ran across this problem on another forum the other day and the answer was recommended as a "closet flange".
Try calling a TOTO dealer or distributor for a definitive answer

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I ran across this problem on another forum the other day and the answer was recommended as a "closet flange".
Try calling a TOTO dealer or distributor for a definitive answer

Closet flange?
We install a few thousand Toto toilets a year.
Maybe you mean installing an offset flange at the time on the rough-in?
Once the floor is down, it's pretty hard to start changing the rough.
The Unifit adapters for Toto work well for shifting the bowl back and forth in 2" increments. They have them for 10", 12" and 14"
They only work with certain Toto bowls that come with the 12" Unifit in the box to start with.
The other alternatives are the 12" bowls with slim tanks, which most manufacturers make,
Or Toto has one in the commercial line CST703.10 or CST704.10 which use an offset bowl to work on the 10"

unifit_choice.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks