Tile Shower Rookie

Users who are viewing this thread

Timpjynx

Reaction score
I'll admit i'm pretty fairly green for this particular project, but i have done a tile floor in a laundry room that turned out great, and I believe i'm capable once I get over this hump. here's the issue:

when i built my house 7 years ago i had the them rough in a bathroom in the basement. the bath/shower drain pipe basically gradually emerges from the concrete at the typical 1/4" slope, but it was only about 6 inches from the wall. for the tile shower i plan to build i basically have to turn the drain at a right angle and bring the extension out about 18 inches. keeping with the 1/4" slope puts the top of drain pipe at a good 1/2" above the concrete floor. adding the p-trap and the 3-piece drain obviously raises things even more, putting it in my opinion too close the top of the typcial 3 2x4 stud height of the curb.

so my questions basically revolve around whether or not i need to raise the subfloor by maybe adding an inch or so of concrete before i start the pre-slope of the shower pan? can cement board be used to raise it ? does it need to be raised at all, or maybe the curb can be 4 2x4s rather than 3?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
check out www.wedi.de , while a European company, they have a US distributor branch. They've got an interesting horizontal drain that (I think) they've gotten approval for that might solve your problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks