Please help! DIY sprinkler job

Users who are viewing this thread

heema

Reaction score
I live in a frigid climate and am going to be using poly pipe for my irrigation system but reading through some irrigation manuals it says NOT to use poly when going from the main line to the valve manifold (due to rupture). I will have a plumber come and install the necessary equipment into the basement (shutoffs, fittings, etc...) all the way until the backflow preventer, then I will install copper pipe down into the ground and couple that to 1" poly and make my run to my 1st valve manifold ( I will have 2 manifolds and 4 valves). Will this be alright? If not, what do I use? When installing my valves on my mainline, should I tee off the main line a foot and then install my manifolds or can I install the manifolds on the main and continue to my next valve? Sorry if this sounds stupid and thanks for any and all info!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if I follow exactly what your plan is, but I would pattern it similar to mine. I would teed off of the main line using copper and a stop and waste valve, then on to the back flow preventer with copper. You could use PVC after the valve. From the BFP, I transitioned from copper to PVC and that runs to my valve manifold. All 4 valves are on 1 manifold. I use PVC pipe for my zone lines as well. I guess you can tell I not a fan of poly pipe. I remove my BFP in the fall and blow the lines will compressed air. The BFV is tested, repaired if and when necessary, and recertified each spring, so I'm good to go for another season.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Gary -

we always used PVC between the backflow preventer and the manifold back when I used to work for a Toro factory-trained installer.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but I have 3 valve manifolds hundreds of feet away from the house on poly pipe and so far (5 years) I've had no problems. As long as the pipe is rated for the pressure I'm not sure why there would be a problem.

-rick

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may be just personal opinion. You are probably right, if the pipe is rated for the pressure there should be no problem. As far as the connections to the back flow, I prefer solid piping to provide support for the back flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks